This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Power Optimization of an Organic Rankine Cycle Waste Heat Recovery System for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Applications
ISSN: 2167-4191, e-ISSN: 2167-4205
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Xu, B., Yebi, A., Onori, S., Filipi, Z. et al., "Transient Power Optimization of an Organic Rankine Cycle Waste Heat Recovery System for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Applications," SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 6(1):25-33, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0133.
- EPA, “EPA and NHTSA adopt first-ever program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve fuel efficiency of medium- and heavy-duty vehicles,” 2011.
- ICCT, “United States Efficiency and greenhouse Gas Emission Regulations for Model Yeat 2018-2027 Heavy-Duty Vehicles, Engines and trailers,” 2015.
- Park, T. Teng, H. Hunter, G. L. van der Velde, and B. Klaver, J. “A Rankine Cycle System for Recovering Waste Heat from HD Diesel Engines - Experimental Results,” SAE International, Warrendale, PA 2011-01-1337, 2011/04// 2011.
- Xu, B. Liu, X. Shutty, J. Anschel, P. Onori, S. Filipi, Z. , “Physics-Based Modeling and Transient Validation of an Organic Rankine Cycle Waste Heat Recovery System for a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 0148-7191, 2016.
- Feru, E. Willems, F. de Jager, and B. Steinbuch, M. “Modeling and Control of a Parallel Waste Heat Recovery System for Euro-VI Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines,” Energies, vol. 7, pp. 6571–6592, 2014/10/14/ 2014.
- Horst, T. A. Rottengruber, H.-S. Seifert, and M. Ringler, J. “Dynamic heat exchanger model for performance prediction and control system design of automotive waste heat recovery systems,” Applied Energy, vol. 105, pp. 293–303, 2013/05// 2013.
- Yamamoto, T. Furuhata, T. Arai, and N. Mori, K. “Design and testing of the Organic Rankine Cycle,” Energy, vol. 26, pp. 239–251, Mar 2001.
- Liu and C. Zhong Li W., “An Experimental Study of a Novel Prototype for Thermoelectric Power Generation from Vehicle Exhaust,” Distributed Generation & Alternative Energy Journal, vol. 28, pp. 32–48, 2013 2013.
- Zhou Minfeng H. Y. a. C. Y., “Numerical Simulation of the Thermoelectric Model on Vehicle Turbocharged Diesel Engine Intercooler,” Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, p. 5, 2014/08/02/18:27:12 2013.
- Edwards, K., Wagner, R., and Briggs, T., “Investigating Potential Light-duty Efficiency Improvements through Simulation of Turbo-compounding and Waste-heat Recovery Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2209, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2209.
- Ismail, Y., Durrieu, D., Menegazzi, P., Chesse, P. , “Potential of Exhaust Heat Recovery by Turbocompounding,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1603, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1603.
- Crane, D., Jackson, G., and Holloway, D., “Towards Optimization of Automotive Waste Heat Recovery Using Thermoelectrics,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1021, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1021.
- Hendricks and T. J. Lustbader, J. A. “Advanced thermoelectric power system investigations for light-duty and heavy duty applications. I,” in Twenty-First International Conference on Thermoelectrics, 2002. Proceedings ICT ′02, 2002, pp. 381–386.
- Hountalas, D., Katsanos, C., and Lamaris, V., “Recovering Energy from the Diesel Engine Exhaust Using Mechanical and Electrical Turbocompounding,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1563, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1563.
- Xu, B. Yebi, A. Onori, S. Filipi, Z. Liu, X. Shutty, J. , “Power Maximization of a Heavy Duty Diesel Organic Rankine Cycle Waste HEat Recovery System Utilizing Mechanically Coupled and Fully Electrified Turbine Expanders,” in Proceedings of the ASME 2016 Internal Combustion Fall Technical Conference, Greenville, SC, USA,2016, p. 11.
- Arias, D., Shedd, T., and Jester, R., “Theoretical Analysis of Waste Heat Recovery from an Internal Combustion Engine in a Hybrid Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1605, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1605.
- Delgado and O. Lutsey, N. “The U.S SuperTruck Program: Expediting the Development of Advanced Heavy-Duty Vehicle Efficiency Technologies,” The International Council on Clean Transportation2014.
- Nelson, C. R. “Exhaust Energy Recovery,” presented at the Presentation at USDOE Directions in Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research Conference, 2006.
- Nelson, C. R. “Exhaust Energy Recovery,” presented at the Presentation at USDOE Directions in Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research Conference, 2008.
- Nelson, C. R. “Exhaust Energy Recovery,” presented at the Presentation at USDOE Directions in Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research Conference, 2009.
- Nelson, C. R. “Exhaust Energy Recovery,” presented at the Presentation at USDOE Directions in Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research Conference, 2010.
- Teng, H., “Waste Heat Recovery Concept to Reduce Fuel Consumption and Heat Rejection from a Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh.3(1):60–68, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1928.
- Teng, H., Klaver, J., Park, T., Hunter, G. , “A Rankine Cycle System for Recovering Waste Heat from HD Diesel Engines - WHR System Development,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0311, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0311.
- Teng, H. and Regner, G., “Improving Fuel Economy for HD Diesel Engines with WHR Rankine Cycle Driven by EGR Cooler Heat Rejection,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2913, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2913.
- Teng, H., Regner, G., and Cowland, C., “Achieving High Engine Efficiency for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines by Waste Heat Recovery Using Supercritical Organic-Fluid Rankine Cycle,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3522, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3522.
- Teng, H., Regner, G., and Cowland, C., “Waste Heat Recovery of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines by Organic Rankine Cycle Part I: Hybrid Energy System of Diesel and Rankine Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0537, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0537.
- Teng, H., Regner, G., and Cowland, C., “Waste Heat Recovery of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines by Organic Rankine Cycle Part II: Working Fluids for WHR-ORC,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0543, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0543.
- Seher, D. Lengenfelder, T. Jurgen, G. Nadja, E. Michael, and H. Krinn, I. “Waste Heat Recovery for Commercial Vehicles with a Rankine Process,” 21st Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine technology, 2012.
- Quoilin, S. Lemort, and V. Lebrun, J. “Experimental study and modeling of an Organic Rankine Cycle using scroll expander,” Applied Energy, vol. 87, pp. 1260–1268, Apr 2010.
- Quoilin, S. Aumann, R. Grill, A. Schuster, A. Lemort, and V. Spliethoff, H. “Dynamic modeling and optimal control strategy of waste heat recovery Organic Rankine Cycles,” Applied Energy, vol. 88, pp. 2183–2190, 6// 2011.
- Zhang, J. H. Zhang, W. F. Hou, and G. L. Fang, F. “Dynamic modeling and multivariable control of organic Rankine cycles in waste heat utilizing processes,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 64, pp. 908–921, Sep 2012.
- Zhang, J. H. Zhou, Y. L. Li, Y. Hou, and G. L. Fang, F. “Generalized predictive control applied in waste heat recovery power plants,” Applied Energy, vol. 102, pp. 320–326, Feb 2013.
- Peralez, J. Tona, P. Sciarretta, A. Dufour, and P. Nadri, M. “Towards model-based control of a steam Rankine process for engine waste heat recovery,” 2012 Ieee Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (Vppc), pp. 289–294, 2012.
- Peralez, J. Tona, P. Sciarretta, A. Dufour, and P. Nadri, M. “Optimal control of a vehicular organic rankine cycle via dynamic programming with adaptive discretization grid,” IFAC Proceedings Volumes, vol. 47, pp. 5671–5678, 2014.
- Yebi, A. Xu, B. Liu, X. Shutty, J. Anschel, P. Onori, S. , “Nonlinear Model Predictive Control of a Parallel Evaporator Waste Heat Recovery System for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines Applications,” in Proceedings of ASME Dynamic System and Control Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 2016.
- Nasser, S. and Playfoot, B., “A Turbocharger Selection Computer Model,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0559, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0559.
- Sun, H., Hanna, D., Niessen, P., Fulton, B. , “Experimental Evaluation of Advanced Turbocharger Performance on a Light Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines6(2):788–796, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0920.
- Ebbesen, S. Kiwitz, and P. Guzzella, L. “A Generic Particle Swarm Optimization Matlab Function,” 2012 American Control Conference (Acc), pp. 1519–1524, 2012.
- Deb, K. Pratap, A. Agarwal, and S. Meyarivan, T. “A fast and elitist multiobjective genetic algorithm: NSGA-II,” Ieee Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 6, pp. 182–197, Apr 2002.