Age-Specific Injury Risk Curves for Distributed, Anterior Thoracic Loading of Various Sizes of Adults Based on Sternal Deflections
Published November 7, 2016 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
Injury Risk Curves are developed from cadaver data for sternal deflections produced by anterior, distributed chest loads for a 25, 45, 55, 65 and 75 year-old Small Female, Mid-Size Male and Large Male based on the variations of bone strengths with age. These curves show that the risk of AIS ≥ 3 thoracic injury increases with the age of the person. This observation is consistent with NASS data of frontal accidents which shows that older unbelted drivers have a higher risk of AIS ≥ 3 chest injury than younger drivers.
CitationMertz, H., Prasad, P., Dalmotas, D., and Irwin, A., "Age-Specific Injury Risk Curves for Distributed, Anterior Thoracic Loading of Various Sizes of Adults Based on Sternal Deflections," SAE Technical Paper 2016-22-0001, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-22-0001.
- Kroell, C.K., Schneider, D.C. and Nahum, A.M. (1972) Impact Tolerance and Response of Human Thorax. Proc. 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 84-134. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Lipson, C. and Sheth, N.J. (1973) Statistical Design and Analysis of Engineering Experiments. McGraw-Hill, NY.
- Mertz, H.J. and Weber, D.A. (1982) Interpretations of the Impact Responses of a 3-Year Old Child Dummy Relative to Child Injury Potential. Proc. 9th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, pp. 368-376. Kyoto, Japan. (Reprinted in Automatic Occupant Protection Systems. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, 1988.)
- Mertz, H.J., Irwin, A.L., Melvin, J.W., Stalnaker, R.L. and Beebe, M.S. (1989) Size, Weight and Biomechanical Impact Response Requirements for Adult Size Small Female and Large Male Dummies. In Automotive Frontal Impacts, pp. 133-144. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Mertz, H.J., Prasad, P. and Nusholtz, G., (1996) Head Injury Risk Assessment for Forehead Impacts. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Mertz, H.J., Prasad, P. and Irwin, A.L. (1997) Injury Risk Curves for Children and Adults in Frontal and Rear Collisions. Proc. 41st Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 13-30. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Mertz, H.J., Irwin, A.L. and Prasad, P. (2003) Biomechanical and Scaling Bases for Frontal and Side Impact Injury Assessment Reference Values. Stapp Car Crash Journal, 47: 155-188.
- Mertz, H.J. and Dalmotas, D.J. (2007) Effects of Shoulder Belt Limit Forces on Adult Thoracic Protection in Frontal Collisions. Stapp Car Crash Journal 51: 361-380.
- Mertz, H.J. and Irwin, A.L. (2015) Anthropomorphic Test Devices and Injury Risk Assessments. In Accidental Injury: Biomechanics and Protection. 3rd ed., ed. Yoganandan N., Nahum A.M. and Melvin J.W., pp. 83-112. Springer, NY.
- Nakahira, Y., Furukawa, K., Niimi, H., Ishihara, T., Miki, K. and Matsuoka, F. (2000) A Combined Evaluation Method and Modified Maximum Likelihood Method for Injury Risk Curves. Proc. 2000 IRCOBI Conference, Montpellier, France.
- Neathery, R.F., Kroell, C.K. and Mertz, H.J. (1975) Prediction of Thoracic Injury from Dummy Responses. Proc. 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 285-316. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Phen, R.L., Dowdy, M.W., Ebbeler, D.H., Kim. E.H., Moore, N.R. and VanZandt, T.R. (1998) Advanced Air Bag Technology Assessment, JPL Report 98-3. Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena,CA.
- Prasad, P. and Mertz, H.J, (1985) The Position of the United States Delegation to ISO Working Group 6 on the Use of HIC in the Automotive Environment. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Skeels, P.C. (1966) The General Motors Energy Absorbing Steering Column. Proc. 10th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 1-13. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Yamada, H. (1970) Strength of Biological Materials. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore MD.