This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Development of Autonomous Amphibious Unmanned Aerial Vehicle and UAV Mountable Water Sampling Devices for Water Based Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 20, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper we discuss about the design and development of an “Autonomous Amphibious Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (AAUAV)” that can fly autonomously to the polluted water areas where human accessibility is formidable to test the water quality. The AAUAV system is an integrated multi-copter with tilt rotor capability to facilitate easy landing, navigation and maneuver on water. A 3D CAD model has been designed and analyzed. A specific propulsion system has been devised and lab tested. A proof of concept model has been made and tested in the field with its instruments to ascertain its technical/ operational feasibility. This system can also be tailored to collect and store the water samples from the polluted sites for further comprehensive research at the laboratory. AAUAV system is the novel solution to the polluted environment through a complete integrated system. This will be an effective alternative for the conventional water sampling techniques.
CitationParvez Alam, M. and Manoharan, D., "Design and Development of Autonomous Amphibious Unmanned Aerial Vehicle and UAV Mountable Water Sampling Devices for Water Based Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2004, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2004.
- Murty M.N. , Kumar Surender Water Pollution in India, An Economic Appraisal
- Dodds W. K. , Bouska W. W. , Eitzmann J. L. , Pilger T. J. , Pitts K. L. , Riley A. J. , Schloesser J. T. , and Thornbrugh D. J. Eutrophication of U.S. freshwaters: Analysis of potential economic damages Environmental Science & Technology 43 1 12 19 Jan. 2009
- E. The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)/World Health Organization (WHO) Johansson and Wardlaw T. Diarrhoea: Why children are still dying and what can be done
- WHO Library Cataloging-in-Publication Data Jan. 2009
- Wilde F. D. , Radtke D. B. , and G. S. ( US ) National field manual for the collection of water-quality data: Field measurements 1998
- Erickson A. J. , Weiss P. T. , and Gulliver J. S. Water sampling methods Optimizing Stormwater Treatment Practices Springer New York Jan. 2013 163 192
- Dunbabin M. , Grinham A. , and Udy J. An autonomous surface vehicle for water quality monitoring Robotics and Automation (ACRA) 13 2009
- Cruz N. A. and Matos A. C. The mares auv, a modular autonomous robot for environment sampling OCEANS 2008 IEEE 2008 1 6
- Water sampling: Traditional methods and new approaches in water sampling strategy Madrid Yolanda , Zayas Zoyne Pedrero
- Melo J. and Matos A. Bottom estimation and following with the mares auv Oceans, 2012 IEEE 2012 1 8
- Rahimi M. , Pon R. , Kaiser W. , Sukhatme G. , Estrin D. , and Srivastava M. Adaptive sam-pling for environmental robotics 2004 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2004. Proceedings. ICRA ’04 4 2004 3537 3544 4
- Merz T. and Kendoul F. Dependable low-altitude obstacle avoidance for robotic helicopters operating in rural areas Journal of Field Robotics 2013
- Kendoul F. Survey of advances in guidance, navigation, and control of unmanned rotorcraft systems Journal of Field Robotics 29 2 315 378 2012
- Sreenath K. , Michael N. , and Kumar V. Trajectory generation and control of a quadrotor with a cable suspended load-a differentially-flat hybrid system ICRA 2013