This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimation of the Rolling Resistance of Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Evaluation of the performance potential of an automotive conceptual design requires some initial quantitative estimate of numerous relevant parameters. Such parameters include the vehicle mass properties, frontal and plan areas, aero drag and lift coefficients, available horsepower and torque, and various tire characteristics such as the rolling resistance coefficient(s)…
A number of rolling resistance models have been advanced since Robert William Thomson first patented the pneumatic rubber tire in 1845, most of them developed in the twentieth century. Most early models only crudely approximate tire rolling resistance behavior over a limited range of operation, while the latest models overcome those limitations but often at the expense of extreme complexity requiring significant computer resources. No model extant seems well suited to the task of providing a methodology for the estimation of a tire’s rolling resistance “coefficient” that is simple to use yet accurate enough for modern conceptual design evaluation.
It is the intent of this paper to suggest a methodology by which this seeming deficiency may be rectified.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Stabilizer Ply Geometry on Rolling Resistance and Cornering Force Properties|
|Technical Paper||Effects of Shape of Tread Rubber Block on Dynamic Characteristics of Tire|
CitationWiegand, B., "Estimation of the Rolling Resistance of Tires," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0445, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0445.
- Becker , G. ; Fromm H. , and Maruhn H. Schwingungen in Automobillenkungen Krayn, Berlin 1931
- Broulheit , G. La Suspension de la Direction de la Voiture Automobile: Shimmy et Danadinement”, Société des Ingénieurs Civils de France Bulletin 78 540 554 1925
- Evans , R. Properties of Tires Affecting Riding, Steering and Handling SAE Technical Paper 350082 1935 10.4271/350082
- Gillespie , T. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1992 10.4271/R-114
- Taborek , Jaroslav J. Mechanics of Vehicles Cleveland, OH Penton Publishing Company 1957
- Billingsley , W. , Evans , R. , Hulswit , W. , and Roberts , E. Rolling Resistance of Pneumatic Tires as a Factor in Car Economy SAE Technical Paper 420080 1942 10.4271/420080
- Wiegand , B.P. Mass Properties and Advanced Automotive Design SAWE Technical Paper 3602, 74th SAWE International Conference on Mass Properties Engineering Alexandria, VA 2015
- Dixon , John C. Suspension Geometry and Computation Chichester, UK John Wiley & Sons Ltd 2009 978-0-470-51021-6
- Gent , Alan N. ; and Walter Joseph D. The Pneumatic Tire National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, DC 2006
- Evans , Larry R. ; Harris John R. , and MacIsaac James D. NHTSA Tire Fuel Efficiency Consumer Information Developmen t: Phase 1 - Evaluation of Laboratory Test Protocols National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, DC 2009
- Tires and Passenger Vehicle Fuel Economy Washington, DC Transportation Research Board Special Report 286 2006 0-309-09421-6
- Stiehler , R.D. et al Power Loss and Operating Temperature of Tires Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards 64C 1 Jan Mar 1960
- Clark , S.K. ; and Dodge R.N. A Handbook for the Rolling Resistance of Pneumatic Tires Ann Arbor, MI Industrial Development Division of The Institute of Science and Technology, University of Michigan 1979
- Clark , S.K. Rolling Resistance of Pneumatic Tires Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 8 3 163 175 1978
- Evans , Larry R. et al NHTSA Tire Fuel Efficiency Consumer Information Developmen t: Phase 2 - Effects of Tire Rolling Resistance Levels on Traction , Treadwear , and Vehicle Fuel Economy National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, DC 2009
- Pike , Ed ; and Schneider Sarah Passenger Vehicle Replacement Tire Efficiency Study Energy Solutions, Report for the South Coast Air Quality Management District, Contract 13451 Oct. 2013
- July 2015
- Wiegand , B.P. Automotive Mass Properties Estimation SAWE Technical Paper 3490, 69th SAWE International Conference on Mass Properties Engineering Virginia Beach, VA 2010
- Pillai , P.S. ; and Fielding-Russell G.S. Tire Rolling Resistance From Whole-Tire Hysteresis Ratio Rubber Chemistry and Technology 65 2 444 452 May 1992
- Klemer , Gayle Rolling Resistance Measurements 106 Passenger Car Tires Standards Development and Support Branch of the Emission Control Technology Division, EPA Technical Report EPA-AA-SDSB-81-3 August 1981