This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ice Accretion Measurements on an Airfoil and Wedge in Mixed-Phase Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents measurements of ice accretion shape and surface temperature from ice-crystal icing experiments conducted jointly by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the National Research Council (NRC) of Canada. The data comes from experiments performed at NRC's Research Altitude Test Facility (RATFac) in 2012. The measurements are intended to help develop models of the ice-crystal icing phenomenon associated with engine ice-crystal icing. Ice accretion tests were conducted using two different airfoil models (a NACA 0012 and wedge) at different velocities, temperatures, and pressures although only a limited set of permutations were tested. The wedge airfoil had several tests during which its surface was actively cooled. The ice accretion measurements included leading-edge thickness for both airfoils. The wedge and one case from the NACA 0012 model also included 2D cross-section profile shapes. Ice growth rate at mid-span and, in some cases, along the entire icing surface is reported. The airfoils had thermocouples embedded on model surfaces. Temperature measurements from select cases, including one with edge heaters activated on the model, are presented.
CitationStruk, P., Bartkus, T., Tsao, J., Currie, T. et al., "Ice Accretion Measurements on an Airfoil and Wedge in Mixed-Phase Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2116, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2116.
- Mason , J. G. , Strapp , J. W. , and Chow , P. The Ice Particle Threat to Engines in Flight 2006 10.2514/6.2006-206
- Struk , P. , Currie , T. , Wright , W. , Knezevici , D. et al. Fundamental Ice Crystal Accretion Physics Studies SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0018 2011 10.4271/2011-38-0018
- Currie , T. C. , Struk , P. M. , Tsao , J. , Fuleki , D. , and Knezevici , D. C. Fundamental Study of Mixed-Phase Icing with Application to Ice Crystal Accretion in Aircraft Jet Engines AIAA 2012 2012 10.2514/6.2012-3035
- Struk , P. M. , Bencic , T. , Tsao , J. , Fuleki , D. , and Knezevici , D. C. Preparation for Scaling Studies of Ice-Crystal Icing at the NRC Research Altitude Test Facility AIAA-2013-2675 and NASA/TM-2013-216571 2013 10.2514/6.2013-2675
- Knezevici , D. , Fuleki , D. , and MacLeod , J. Development and Commissioning of a Linear Compressor Cascade Rig for Ice Crystal Research SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0079 2011 10.4271/2011-38-0079
- Fuleki , D. , Mahallati , A. , Currie , T. C. , MaCleod , J. D. , and Knezevici , D. C. Development of a Sensor for Total Temperature and Humidity Measurements under Mixed-Phase and Glaciated Icing Conditions 2014 10.2514/6.2014-2751
- Struk , P. M. , and Lynch , C. J. Ice Growth Measurements from Image Data to Support Ice-Crystal and Mixed-Phase Accretion Testing AIAA-2012-3036 and NASA/TM-2012-217703 2012 10.2514/6.2012-3036
- Vaisala 2014 Humidity Calculator 3.1 http://www.vaisala.com/
- Struk , P. , Bartkus , T. , and Tsao , J. A Method to Interpret Mixed-Phase Measurements using the SEA Multi-Wire Probe in Select Icing Test Facilities Panel Presentation at SAE International 2015 International Conference on Icing of Aircraft, Engines, and Structures Jun. 2015
- Currie , T. C. , Fuleki , D. , and Mahallati , A. Experimental Studies of Mixed-Phase Sticking Efficiency for Ice Crystal Accretion in Jet Engines AIAA-2014-3049 2014 10.2514/6.2014-3049
- Fuleki , D. , Chalmers , L. , and Galeote , B. Technique for Ice Crystal Particle Size Measurements and Results for the National Research Council of Canada Altitude Ice Crystal Test System SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2125 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2125
- Apple 2005 QuickTime 7 Pro https://www.apple.com/quicktime/extending/
- Rasband , W. S. 1997 ImageJ http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/
- Knezevici , D. C. , Fuleki , D. , Currie , T. C. , Galeote , B. , Chalmers , J. , and MacLeod , J. D. Particle Size Effects on Ice Crystal Accretion - Part II AIAA-2013-2676 2013 10.2514/6.2013-2676