This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Pressure and Split Injection Strategies for Fuel Efficiency and Emissions in DI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The focus on fuel efficiency, performance, and the regulatory requirements of emissions have brought the attentions on injection strategies for improvement of in-cylinder mixture preparation and elimination of the sources of combustion emissions, in particular the in-cylinder particulate formation.
In this paper, with the focus on better fuel efficiency and reduction of emissions, high-pressure and split injection strategies were investigated in a single cylinder DI diesel engine. It provides results of a study of the influence of fuel pressure increase between 30 to 180 MPa, in conjunction with the main injection events split in two or three, on the combustion characteristics, specifically the particulate and gaseous emissions and the fuel economy.
The experimental data shows the marked effect of fuel pressure increase on reduction of the particulate emissions. It also illustrates improvement of fuel consumption of the split main injection events, remarkable at around 100 MPa of fuel pressure. The data highlights the complex relation of the fuel pressure and split main injection events on gaseous emissions, which must be taken into consideration for DI diesel combustion system optimization.
- Seung Yeon Yang - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Nimal Naser - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Adrian I. Ichim - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Suk Ho Chung - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Junepyo Cha - Korea National University of Transportation
CitationCha, J., Yang, S., Naser, N., Ichim, A. et al., "High Pressure and Split Injection Strategies for Fuel Efficiency and Emissions in DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1823, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1823.
- Satkoski , C. A. , Ruikar , N. S. , Biggs , S. D. and Shaver , G. M. Piezoelectric fuel injection: Cycle-to-cycle control of tightly spaced injections Control Engineering Practice 20 1175 1182 2012
- Cha , J. , Kwon , S. and Park , S. An experimental and modelling study of the combustion and emission characteristics for gasoline-diesel dual-fuel engines Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: J. of Automobile Engineering 225 6 801 812 2011
- Koci , C. , Ra , Y. , Krieger , R. , Andrie , M. et al. Multiple-Event Fuel Injection Investigations in a Highly-Dilute Diesel Low Temperature Combustion Regime SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 837 857 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0925
- Ehleskog , R. , Golovitchev , V. , Denbratt , I. , Andersson , S. and Rinaldini C. A. Experimental and numerical investigation of split injections at low load in an HDDI diesel engine equipped with a piezo injector SAE Technical paper 2006-01-3433 2006
- Mendez , S. and Thirouard , B. Using Multiple Injection Strategies in Diesel Combustion: Potential to Improve Emissions, Noise and Fuel Economy Trade-Off in Low CR Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 662 674 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1329
- Kobashi , Y. , Tanaka , D. , Maruko , T. , Kato , S. , Kishiura , M. and Senda , J. Effects of mixedness and ignition timings on PCCI combustion with a dual fuel operation SAE Technical paper 2011-01-1768 2011
- Rezaei , S. Z. , Zhang , F. , Xu , H. , Ghafourian , A. and Herreros , J. M. Investigation of two-stage split-injection strategies for a dieseline fuelled PPCI engine Fuel 107 299 308 2013
- Lee , S. , Choi , H. and Chung , J. The effects of injection timing and piston bowl shape on PHCCI combustion with split injections SAE Technical paper 2010-01-0359 2010
- Herfatmanesh , M. , Lu , P. , Attar , M. A. and Zhao H. Experimental investigation into the effects of two-stage injection on fuel injection quantity, combustion and emissions in a high-speed optical common rail diesel engine Fuel 109 137 147 2013
- Fuyuto , T. , Taki , M. , Ueda , R. , Hattori , Y. , Kuzuyama , H. and Umehara , T. Noise and emissions reduction by second injection in diesel PCCI combustion with split injection SAE Technical paper 2014-01-2676 2014
- Fang , T. , Coverdill , R. E. , Lee , C. F. and White R. A. Effects of injection angles on combustion processes using multiple injection strategies in an HSDI diesel engine Fuel 87 3232 3239 2008
- Abdullah , N. R. , Mamt , R. , Rounce , P. , Tsolakis , A. , Wyszynski , M. L. and Xu , H. M. Effect of injection pressure with split injection in a V6 diesel engine SAE Technical paper 2009-24-0049 2009
- Cheng , X. , Chen , L. , Yan , F. , Hong , G. , Yin , Y. and Liu , H. Investigations of split injection strategies for the improvement of combustion and soot emissions characteristics based on the two-color method in a heavy-duty diesel engine SAE Technical paper 2013-01-2523 2013
- Bakenhus , M. and Reitz , R. D. Two-color combustion visualization of single and split injections in a single-cylinder heavy-duty D. I. diesel engine using an endoscope-based imaging system SAE Technical paper 1999-01-1112 1999
- Yang , S. and Chung , S. An experimental study on the effects of high-pressure and multiple injection strategies on DI diesel engine emissions SAE Technical paper 2013-01-0045 2013
- Han , S. , Kim , J. and Bae , C. Effect of air-fuel mixing quality on characteristics of conventional and low temperature diesel combustion Appied Energy 119 454 466 2014
- Yoon , H. and Bae , C. Post injection in a compression ignition engine fueled with dimethyl-ether Feul 103 1123 1131 2013
- Benajes , J. , Novella , R. , Garcia , A. , Domenech , V. et al. An Investigation on Mixing and Auto-ignition using Diesel and Gasoline in a Direct-Injection Compression-Ignition Engine Operating in PCCI Combustion Conditions SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2590 2602 2011 10.4271/2011-37-0008
- de Ojeda , W. , Zoldak , P. , Espinosa , R. , and Kumar , R. Development of a Fuel Injection Strategy for Partially Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 1473 1488 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1527
- Manasra , S. and Brueggemann , D. Effect of split injection on the combustion and in-cylinder soot formation characteristics of low compression ratio neat gas-to-liquid-fueled DI diesel engine SAE Technical paper 2012-01-0690 2012
- Das , P. , Subbarao , P. and Subrahmanyam , J. Study of combustion behavior and combustion stability of HCCI-DI combustion for a wide operating range using a low cost novel experimental technique SAE Technical paper 2014-01-2661 2014
- Finesso , R. and Spessa , E. Ignition delay prediction of multiple injections in diesel engines Fuel 119 170 190 2014
- Tanaka , S. , Ayala , F. , Keck , J. C. and Heywood , J. B. Two-stage ignition in HCCI combustion and HCCI control by fuels and additives Combustion and Flame 132 219 239 2003
- Cha , J. , Kwon , S. and Park , S. Engine performance and exhaust emissions in stoichiometric combustion engines fuelled with dimethyl ether Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: J. of Automobile Engineering 226 5 674 683 2012
- Horibe , N. , Annen , T. , Miyazaki , Y. and Ishiyama , T. Heat release rate and NOx formation process in two-stage injection diesel PCCI combustion in a constant-volume vessel SAE Technical paper 2010-01-0608 2010
- Heywood , J. B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988