This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Steering Maneuver with Furrow-Tripped Rollovers of a Pickup and Passenger Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Extensive testing has been conducted to evaluate both the dynamic response of vehicle structures and occupant protection systems in rollover collisions though the use of Anthropomorphic Test Devices (ATDs). Rollover test methods that utilize a fixture to initiate the rollover event include the SAE2114 dolly, inverted drop tests, accelerating vehicle body buck on a decelerating sled, ramp-induced rollovers, and Controlled Rollover Impact System (CRIS) Tests. More recently, programmable steering controllers have been used with sedans, vans, pickup trucks, and SUVs to induce a rollover, primarily for studying the vehicle kinematics for accident reconstruction applications.
The goal of this study was to create a prototypical rollover crash test for the study of vehicle dynamics and occupant injury risk where the rollover is initiated by a steering input over realistic terrain without the constraints of previously used test methods. The two rollovers presented involve a crew-cab pickup and a mid-sized sedan. This testing is an extension of previously published steer-induced rollover research that incorporates instrumented ATDs and one vehicle (pickup) that was equipped with rollover-initiated pretensioners and rollover side-curtain airbags. The test vehicles were steered off a paved roadway and onto a soil test surface, followed by a rapid steering reversal that resulted in a counter-clockwise yaw followed by a furrowed trip rollover. The ATDs were belted in the front outboard seating positions. The vehicle and occupant kinematics were documented with a full complement of instrumentation and video coverage. This paper presents the test method, as well as the vehicle kinematics during the yaw and rollover phase, including an analysis and discussion of the velocities and accelerations, roof deformation, and energy dissipation of the vehicles.
CitationLarson, R., Croteau, J., Bare, C., Zolock, J. et al., "Steering Maneuver with Furrow-Tripped Rollovers of a Pickup and Passenger Car," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1477, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1477.
- Larson , R. , Smith , J. , Werner , S. , and Fowler , G. Vehicle Rollover Testing, Methodologies in Recreating Rollover Collisions SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1641 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1641
- Wilson , L.A , Gilbert , M. , Godrick , D.A Reconstruction and Analysis of Steering-Induced On-Road Untripped SUV Rollover Test (Part 1) Collision: The International Compendium for Crash Research 2 1 2007
- Wilson , L.A , Gilbert , M. , Godrick , D.A Reconstruction and Analysis of Steering-Induced On-Road Untripped SUV Rollover Test (Part 2) Collision: The International Compendium for Crash Research 2 2 2007
- Asay , A. and Woolley , R. Rollover Testing on an Actual Highway SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 1237 1267 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1544
- Asay , A. and Woolley , R. Rollover Testing of Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) on an Actual Highway SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0521 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0521
- Stevens , D. , Arndt , S. , Wayne , L. , Arndt , M. et al. Rollover Crash Test Results: Steer-Induced Rollovers SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1114 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1114
- Viano , D. and Parenteau , C. Case Study of Vehicle Maneuvers Leading to Rollovers: Need for a Vehicle Test Simulating Off-Road Excursions, Recovery and Handling SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0169 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0169
- Kim , T. , Bollapragada , V , Kerrigan , J. , Crandall , J. , Clauser , M. Effects of types of vehicles and maneuvers on vehicle kinematics during steering-induced soil-trip rollover 23rd ESV Conference, Paper Number 13-0050 May 2013
- Heller , M. , Sharpe , S. , Newberry , W. , Dibb , A. et al. Occupant Kinematics and Injury Response in Maneuver Induced Rollover Testing SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1478 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1478
- Fowler , G. , Larson , R. , and Wojcik , L. Driver Crash Avoidance Behavior: Analysis of Experimental Data Collected in NHTSA's Vehicle Antilock Brake System (ABS) Research Program SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0423 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0423
- Yaek , J. , Curry , B. , and Goertz , A. Review and Comparison of Published Rollover Test Results SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0057 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0057
- Bready , J. , May , A. , and Allsop , D. Physical Evidence Analysis and Roll Velocity Effects in Rollover Accident Reconstruction SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1284 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1284
- Carter , J. , Habberstad , J. , and Croteau , J. A Comparison of the Controlled Rollover Impact System (CRIS) with the J2114 Rollover Dolly SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0694 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0694
- Croteau , J. , Zolock , J. , Larson , R. , Bare , C. et al. Dynamic Response of Vehicle Roof Structure and ATD Neck Loading During Dolly Rollover Tests SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 3 1 407 449 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0515