This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation and Aerodynamic Optimization of Flow Over a Pickup Truck Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Three dimensional, steady state computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations of flow around a generic pickup truck are performed to optimize the aerodynamic performance of a pickup truck model. Detailed comparison between the data of the CFD model and the experiment are made. By using deformation techniques, surrogate models and optimization methods, the drag is reduced. Four design variables are used for deformation: the cabin height, bed height, ground clearance and bed length. The optimization is single objective: minimizing the drag coefficient. A response surface model is built to reduce the sampling points for optimization, and the simulation time is reduced accordingly. Results show that the design variables are not fully independent with each other, and by proper combinations of the variable change, the drag coefficient of the pickup truck model can be reduced effectively. In this study, the drag coefficient reduced about 9.7% through optimization algorithm. The results also show that the single tailgate itself is not always profitable for drag reduction. This paper is limited to an existing generic pickup truck model where abundant experimental data can be achieved in publications. The lift coefficient is not considered. Although optimization methods have been used in CFD analysis more frequently in recent years, few publications can be found in aerodynamic optimization of the pickup truck model. The methodology in this paper is both effective and efficient, and the results show a considerable reduction of the drag of the pickup truck model.
CitationWang, H., Lin, T., Yuan, X., and Zhang, Q., "Simulation and Aerodynamic Optimization of Flow Over a Pickup Truck Model," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2437, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2437.
- Al-Garni , A. , Bernal , L. , and Khalighi , B. , Experimental Investigation of the Near Wake of a Pick-up Truck SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0651 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0651
- Cooper , K. , Pickup Truck Aerodynamics - Keep Your Tailgate Up SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1146 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1146
- Yang , Z. and Khalighi , B. , CFD Simulations for Flow Over Pickup Trucks SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0547 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0547
- Lokhande , B. , Sovani , S. , and Khalighi , B. , Transient Simulation of the Flow Field Around a Generic Pickup Truck SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1313 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1313
- Zhu , H. and Yang , Z. , Simulation of Flow around a Generic Pickup Truck with RSM Model SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0324 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0324
- Gilkeson C A , Toropov V V , Thompson H M et al. Multi-objective aerodynamic shape optimization of small livestock trailers[J] Engineering Optimization 2013 45 11 1309 1330 10.1080/0305215X.2012.737782
- Madsen J I , Shyy W , Haftka R T. Response surface techniques for diffuser shape optimization[J] AIAA journal 2000 38 9 1512 1518 10.2514/2.1160
- Forrester A I J , Bressloff N W , Keane A J. Optimization using surrogate models and partially converged computational fluid dynamics simulations[J] Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Science 2006 462 2071 2177 2204 10.1098/rspa.2006.1679
- Roache P J. Perspective: a method for uniform reporting of grid refinement studies[J] Journal of Fluids Engineering 116 3 1994 405 413 10.1115/1.2910291
- Ha , J. , Jeong , S. , and Obayashi , S. , Investigation of the Bed and Rear Flap Variation for a Low-Drag Pickup Truck using Design of Experiments SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0122 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0122
- Narayanan A , Toropov V V , Wood A S et al. Simultaneous model building and validation with uniform designs of experiments[J] Engineering Optimization 2007 39 5 497 512 10.1080/03052150701399978
- Schittkowski , Klaus. NLPQL: A FORTRAN subroutine solving constrained nonlinear programming problems Annals of operations research 5.2 1986 485 500 10.1007/BF02022087
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Guidelines for Aerodynamic Assessment of Medium and Heavy Commercial Ground Vehicles Using Computational Fluid Dynamics SAE Standard J2966 Sep. 2013
- Meshworks/Morpher Training Manual, Detroit Engineered Products, www.depusa.com
- iSIGHT User's Guide, Engineous Software, Inc. (2003) www.engineous.com
- Miki , M. , Hiroyasu , T. , Kaneko , M. , Hatanaka , K. , A Parallel Genetic Algorithm with Distributed Environment Scheme IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 1 1999 695 700 10.1109/ICSMC.1999.814176