This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Simulations for Flow Over Pickup Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) was used to simulate the flow field over a pickup truck. The simulation was based on a steady state formulation and the focus of the simulation was to assess the capabilities of the currently used CFD tools for vehicle aerodynamic development for pickup trucks. Detailed comparisons were made between the CFD simulations and the existing experiments for a generic pickup truck. It was found that the flow structures obtained from the CFD calculations are very similar to the corresponding measured mean flows. Furthermore, the surface pressure distributions are captured reasonably well by the CFD analysis. Comparison for aerodynamic drags was carried out for both the generic pickup truck and a production pickup truck. Both the simulations and the measurements show the same trends for the drag as the vehicle geometry changes, This suggests that the steady state CFD simulation can be used to aid the aerodynamic development of pickup trucks.
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Flow around a Generic Pickup Truck with RSM Model|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Investigation of the Near Wake of a Pick-up Truck|
|Journal Article||Aerodynamics of a Pickup Truck: Combined CFD and Experimental Study|
CitationYang, Z. and Khalighi, B., "CFD Simulations for Flow Over Pickup Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0547, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0547.
- Butz, L.A. Donavan, P.R. Gondert, T.R. MacDonald, R.A. Wood, D.H. “1988 Chevrolet/GMC full size pickup truck aerodynamics,” SAE- 872274 1987
- Al-Gami, A.M. Bernal, L.P. Khalighi, B. “Experimental investigation of the near wake of a pick-up truck,” SAE- 2003-01-0651 2003
- Lokhande, B. Sovani, S. Khalighi, B. “Transient simulation of the flow field around a generic pickup truck,” SAE- 2003-01-1313 2003
- Khalighi, B. Pugsley, D. “External aerodynamic simulations around a generic pickup truck using a lattice Boltzmann approach,” GM R&D Report 9755 March 2004
- Kelly, K.B. Provencher, L.G. Schenkel, F.K. “The General Motors engineering staff aerodynamics laboratory - a full-scale automotive wind tunnel” SAE- 820371 1982
- TGrid 3.4 Fluent Inc. 2002
- Fluent 6.0 Fluent Inc. 2002
- Shih, T.H. Liou, W.W. Shabbir, A. Yang, Z. Zhu, J. “A new k-e eddy viscosity model for high Reynolds number turbulent flows - model development and validation” Computer and Fluids 24 1995
- Launder, B.E. Spalding, D.B. “The numerical computation of turbulent flows” Computational Methods in Appl. Mech. & Engineering 3 1974
- Hucho, W.-H. “ Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles ” 2nd SAE Inc 686 687 1998
- SAE Standard “Aerodynamic testing of road vehicles: closed-test-section wind tunnel boundary interference” SAE J2085 1993
- Yang, Z. Schenkel, F.K. “Assessment of closed-wall wind tunnel blockage using CFD” SAE- 2004-01-0672 2004