This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact of Sulfur-Oxides on the Ammonia Slip Catalyst Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The ammonia slip catalyst (ASC), typically composed of Pt oxidation catalyst overlaid with SCR catalyst, is employed for the mitigation of NH3 slip originating from SCR catalysts. Oxidation and SCR functionalities in an ASC can degrade through two key mechanisms i) irreversible degradation due to thermal aging and ii) reversible degradation caused by sulfur-oxides. The impact of thermal aging is well understood and it mainly degrades the SCR function of the ASC and increases the NH3 conversion to undesired products . This paper describes the impact of sulfur-oxides on critical functions of ASC and on NH3 oxidation activity and selectivity towards N2, NOx and N2O. Furthermore impact of desulfation under selected conditions and its extent of ASC performance recovery is explained.
CitationSmith, M., Kamasamudram, K., Szailer, T., Kumar, A. et al., "Impact of Sulfur-Oxides on the Ammonia Slip Catalyst Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1545, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1545.
Advances in NOx Reduction Technology, 2014
Number: SP-2348; Published: 2014-04-08
Number: SP-2348; Published: 2014-04-08
- Theis , J. The Poisoning and Desulfation Characteristics of Iron and Copper SCR Catalysts SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 324 331 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0900
- Smith , M. Experimental and Modeling Studies of Lean and Rich Exhaust Conditions for Selective Catalytic Reduction of NOx with NH 3 , in Mechanical Engineering 2010 University of Michigan Ann Arbor
- Charlton , S. , Dollmeyer , T. , and Grana , T. Meeting the US Heavy-Duty EPA 2010 Standards and Providing Increased Value for the Customer SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 3 1 101 110 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1934
- Girard , J. , Cavataio , G. , and Lambert , C. The Influence of Ammonia Slip Catalysts on Ammonia, N2O and NOX Emissions for Diesel Engines 2007-01-1572 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1572
- Hünnekes , E. , van der Heijden , P. , and Patchett , J. Ammonia Oxidation Catalysts for Mobile SCR Systems 2006-01-0640 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0640
- Scheuer , A. , Votsmeier , M. , Schuler , A. , Gieshoff , J. , Drochner , A. , and Vogel H. NH 3 -slip catalysts: experiments versus mechanistic modeling Topics in Catalysis 52 2009 1847
- Kamasamudram , K. , Yezerets , A. , chen , X. , Currier , N. et al. New Insights into Reaction Mechanism of Selective Catalytic Ammonia Oxidation Technology for Diesel Aftertreatment Applications SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1810 1821 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1314
- Kumar , A. , Smith , M. A. , Kamasamudram , K. , Currier , N. W. , An , H. , and Yezerets A. Impact of different forms of feed sulfur on small-pore Cu-zeolite SCR catalyst Catalysis Today 2014 10.1016/j.cattod.2013.12.038
- Cheng , Y. , Lambert , C. , Kim , D. , Kwak , J. , Cho , S. , and Peden C. The different impacts of SO 2 and SO 3 on Cu/zeolite SCR catalysts Catalysis Today 151 2010 266 270
- Muench , J. , Leppelt , R. , and Dotzel , R. Extruded Zeolite Based Honeycomb Catalyst for NOx Removal from Diesel Exhaust 2008-01-1024 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1024
- Ramachandran , B. , Herman , R. , Choi , S. , Stenger , H. , Lyman , C. , and Sale J. Testing zeolite SCR catalysts under protocol conditions for NOx abatement from stationary emission sources Catalysis Today 55 2000 281 290
- Shibata , M. , Nagata , H. , Takeshima , S. , and Hoshino , K. A Study of Engine Oil Composition Effects on Zeolite-type SCR Catalyst Durability 2007-01-1924 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1924
- Zhang , L. , Wang , D. , Li , J. , Kamasamudram , K. , and Epling W. Sulfur Poisoning of the NH 3 -SCR Reaction Over Cu-SAPO-34: SO 2 Vs. SO 3 AICHE 2013 Annual Meeting November 4 2013