This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Insights into the Unique Operation of Small Pore Cu-Zeolite SCR Catalyst: Overlapping NH 3 Desorption and Oxidation Characteristics for Minimizing Undesired Products
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An operational challenge associated with SCR catalysts is the NH3 slip control, particularly for commercial small pore Cu-zeolite formulations as a consequence of their significant ammonia storage capacity. The desorption of NH3 during increasing temperature transients is one example of this challenge. Ammonia slipping from SCR catalyst typically passes through a platinum based ammonia oxidation catalyst (AMOx), leading to the formation of the undesired byproducts NOx and N2O. We have discovered a distinctive characteristic, an overlapping NH3 desorption and oxidation, in a state-of-the-art Cu-zeolite SCR catalyst that can minimize NH3 slip during temperature transients encountered in real-world operation of a vehicle. In this work we show new insights, gained from NH3 temperature programmed desorption and oxidation experiments, into the Cu-zeolite catalyst functions responsible for the overlap of NH3 desorption and oxidation characteristics and the impact of hydrothermal treatment on these functions.
|Technical Paper||Impact of Sulfur-Oxides on the Ammonia Slip Catalyst Performance|
|Technical Paper||Ammonia Oxidation Catalysts for Mobile SCR Systems|
CitationKamasamudram, K., Kumar, A., Luo, J., Currier, N. et al., "New Insights into the Unique Operation of Small Pore Cu-Zeolite SCR Catalyst: Overlapping NH3 Desorption and Oxidation Characteristics for Minimizing Undesired Products," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1542, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1542.
- Fedeyko , J. , Chen , H. , Ballinger , T. , Weigert , E. et al. Development of Thermally Durable Cu/SCR Catalysts SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0899 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0899
- Kamasamudram , K. , Yezerets , A. , chen , X. , Currier , N. et al. New Insights into Reaction Mechanism of Selective Catalytic Ammonia Oxidation Technology for Diesel Aftertreatment Applications SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1810 1821 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1314
- Girard , J. , Cavataio , G. , and Lambert , C. The Influence of Ammonia Slip Catalysts on Ammonia, N2O and NOX Emissions for Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1572 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1572
- Kamasamudram , K. , Currier , N. W. , Chen , X. , Yezerets , A. Overview of the Practically Important Behaviors of Zeolite-Based SCR Catalysts for Mobile Diesel Applications, Using Compact Experimental Protocol Catalysis Today 151 2010 212
- Xavier , A. , Partridge , W. P. , Jae-Soon , C. , Pihl , J. A. , Yezerets , A. , Kamasamudram , K. , Currier , N. W. , Olsson , L. Local ammonia storage and ammonia inhibition in a monolithic copper-beta zeolite SCR catalyst Appl Catal. B 126 2012 144
- Hee-Young , J. , Chae-Ho , S. , Hye Ja , J. , Suk Bong , H. Catalytic evaluation of small-pore molecular sieves with different framework topologies for the synthesis of methylamines Appl. Catal. A 305 2006 70
- Moreno , S. , Poncelet , G. Dealumination of small- and large-port mordenites: a comparative study Micro. Mat. 12 1997 197