This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Cylindrical, k, and ks Diesel Nozzle Shape on the Injector Internal Flow Field and on the Emerging Spray Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Today, multi-hole Diesel injectors can be mainly characterized by three different nozzle hole shapes: cylindrical, k-hole, and ks-hole. The nozzle hole layout plays a direct influence on the injector internal flow field characteristics and, in particular, on the cavitation and turbulence evolution over the hole length. In turn, the changes on the injector internal flow correlated to the nozzle shape produce immediate effects on the emerging spray.
In the present paper, the fluid dynamic performance of three different Diesel nozzle hole shapes are evaluated: cylindrical, k-hole, and ks-hole. The ks-hole geometry was experimentally characterized in order to find out its real internal shape.
First, the three nozzle shapes were studied by a fully transient CFD multiphase simulation to understand their differences in the internal flow field evolutions. In detail, the attention was focused on the turbulence and cavitation levels at hole exit. The adopted simulation strategy was previously validated against experimental data.
Finally, the fluid dynamic conditions collected at nozzle exit by the multiphase simulations were used to initialize Lagrangian spray simulations carried out at constant-volume conditions. The computed spray patterns were compared to find out correlations between the tested nozzle layouts and the overall spray characteristics.
CitationBrusiani, F., Bianchi, G., Falfari, S., Onorati, A. et al., "Influence of Cylindrical, k, and ks Diesel Nozzle Shape on the Injector Internal Flow Field and on the Emerging Spray Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1428, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1428.
- Mahr , B. Future and Potential of Diesel Injection Systems THIESEL 2002 Conference on Thermo- and Fluid-Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines
- NISHIDA , K. , ZHANG , W. , and MANABE , T. Effects of Micro-Hole and Ultra-High Injection Pressure on Mixture Properties of D.I. Diesel Spray SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1890 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1890
- Blessing , M. , König , G. , Krüger , C. , Michels , U. et al. Analysis of Flow and Cavitation Phenomena in Diesel Injection Nozzles and Its Effects on Spray and Mixture Formation SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1358 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1358
- Han , J. , Lu , P. , Xie , X. , Lai , M. et al. Investigation of Diesel Spray Primary Break-up and Development for Different Nozzle Geometries SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2775 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2775
- Kong , J. and Bae , C. Effect of Tapered Nozzle Hole on Spray Characteristics of High Pressure Diesel Injector ICLASS 2009 Vail, Colorado, USA 2009
- Som , S. , Ramirez , A. , Longman , D. , Aggarwal , S. Effect of Nozzle Orifice Geometry on Spray, Combustion, and Emission Characteristics Under Diesel Engine Conditions Fuel 90 3 March 2011 1267 1276
- Payri , R. , Salvador , F.J. , Gimeno , J. , Zapata , L.D. Diesel Nozzle Geometry Influence on Spray Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Evaporative Conditions Fuel 87 7 June 2008 1165 1176
- Benajes , J , Pastor , J.V. , Payri , R. , Plazas , A. H. Analysis of the Influence of Diesel Nozzle Geometry in the Injection Rate Characteristics J. Fluids Eng 2004 126 63 71
- Payri , R. , Garcia , J.M. , Salvador , F.J. , Gimeno , J. Using Spray Momentum Flux Measurements to Understand the Influence of Diesel Nozzle Geometry on Spray Characteristics Fuel 2005 84 551 61
- Brusiani , F. , Negro , S. , Bianchi , G. , Moulai , M. et al. Comparison of the Homogeneous Relaxation Model and a Rayleigh Plesset Cavitation Model in Predicting the Cavitating Flow Through Various Injector Hole Shapes SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1613 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1613
- Lucchini , T. , D'Errico , G. , Ettorre , D. , Brusiani , F. et al. Experimental and Numerical Investigation of High-Pressure Diesel Sprays with Multiple Injections at Engine Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0179 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0179
- Montanaro , A. , Allocca , L. , Ettorre , D. , Lucchini , T. et al. Experimental Characterization of High-Pressure Impinging Sprays for CFD Modeling of GDI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 747 763 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0685
- Product Information Giessen Werth Messtechnik 2004
- Baltes , H. , Brand , O. , Fedder , G.K. , Hierold , C. , Korvink , O. , Tabata , D. Microengineering of Metals and Ceramics: Part II Löhe Detlef Jürgen Haußelt 2005
- Brusiani , F. , Bianchi , G. , and Di Gioia , R. Experimental Characterization of the Geometrical Shape of ks-hole and Comparison of its Fluid Dynamic Performance Respect to Cylindrical and k-hole Layouts SAE Int. J. Engines 6 3 1553 1565 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0008
- Brusiani , F. , Falfari , S. , Pelloni , P. Influence of the Diesel injector hole geometry on the flow conditions emerging from the nozzle Elsevier Energy Procedia 2013
- Macian , V. , Bermudez , V. , Payri , R. , Gimeno , J. New Technique for Determination of Internal Geometry of a Diesel Nozzle with the Use of Silicon Methodology Innovative Measurement Techniques Series: Part 3 March April 2003
- Bianchi , G. , Falfari , S. , Brusiani , F. , Pelloni , P. et al. Numerical Investigation of Critical Issues in Multiple-Injection Strategy Operated by a New C.R. Fast-Actuation Solenoid Injector SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1236 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1236
- Bianchi , G. , Falfari , S. , Brusiani , F. , Pelloni , P. et al. Advanced Modelling of a New Diesel Fast Solenoid Injector and Comparison with Experiments SAE TRANSACTIONS- JOURNAL OF ENGINES 113 1 14 2004
- Fluent 12 User Manual Fluent Inc.
- Singhal , A. K. , Li , H. Y. , Athavale , M. M. , and Jiang , Y. Mathematical Basis and Validation of the Full Cavitation Model ASME FEDSM'01 New Orleans, Louisiana 2001
- Versteeg , H.K. , Malalasekera , W. An Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics: The Finite Volume Method 2nd Longman 2006
- Mirosław Chorazewski , M. , Dergal , F. , Sawaya , T. , Mokbel , I. , Grolier J.P. , Jose , J. Thermophysical properties of Normafluid (ISO 4113) over wide pressure and temperature ranges Fuel 105 2013 440 450
- The OpenFOAM foundation www.openfoam.org 2013
- Lucchini , T. , D'Errico , G. , Onorati , A. , Bonandrini , G. et al. Development of a CFD Approach to Model Fuel-Air Mixing in Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0146 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0146
- D'Errico , G. , Lucchini , T. , Stagni , A. , Frassoldati , A. et al. Reduced Kinetic Mechanisms for Diesel Spray Combustion Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0014 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0014
- D'Errico , G. , Lucchini , T. Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulation of Diesel Engines with Sophisticated Injection Strategies for In-Cylinder Pollutant Controls Energy & Fuels 26 7 4212 4223 2012
- Huh , K. Y. , and Gosman A. D. A Phenomenological Model of Diesel Spray Atomization Proceedings of the International Conference on Multiphase Flows Tsukuba, Japan 1991
- Huh , K. Y. , Lee , E. , Koo , J. Diesel Spray Atomization Model Considering Nozzle Exit Turbulence Conditions Atomization and Spray 8 4 453 469 1998
- Hinze , J. O. Fundamentals of the Hydrodynamic Mechanism of Splitting in Dispersion Processes AIChE Journal 1 3 289 295 1955
- Faeth , G. M. , Hsiang , L.P. , Wu , P. K. Structure and Breakup Properties of Sprays Int. Jou. of Multiphase Flow 21 99 127 1995
- Reitz , R. D. Modeling Atomization Processes In High Pressure Vaporizing Sprays Atomization and Spray Technology 3 309 337 1987
- Kong , C. and Bae , C. Effect of Tapered Nozzle Hole on Spray Characterisitics of High Pressure Diesel Injection ICLASS 2009, 11 th International Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems Vail, Colorado USA July 2009
- Hiroyasu , H. and Arai , M. Structures of Fuel Sprays in Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 900475 1990 10.4271/900475
- Elkotb M. Fuel Atomization for Spray Modelling Progr. Energ. Combust. Sci. 8 61 90 1992
- Faeth , G. M. Evaporation and combustion in sprays Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 9 1 76 1983