This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation on Biodiesel from Microalgae as Fuel for Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Biodiesel from Algae appears as an almost ideal solution to address the problem of decreasing availability of conventional fossil fuels, as well as to reduce the impact in terms of CO2 of internal combustion engines. In comparison to other biodiesels, algae do not compete for the land use with food cultures, and they have an excellent oil yield.
Despite the significant amount of technical reports about the production process of algal biodiesel, detailed information about the application to current production engines is almost completely missing.
The present paper describes the experimental campaign carried out on a current production 4-cylinder, 4-stroke naturally aspirated Diesel engine, running on standard Diesel oil and on a blend made up of 20% of oil manufactured by transesterification of Microalgae (B20). Performance and emission parameters have been measured over the whole engine operating range.
It was found that the use of B20 leads to a very small decrease of full load performance (lower torque and higher specific fuel consumption), in front of a significant advantage in terms of Soot emissions, partly balanced by a higher NOx rate. No apparent difference has been observed in terms of NVH when running on the two fuels.
CitationRinaldini, C., Mattarelli, E., Magri, M., and Beraldi, M., "Experimental Investigation on Biodiesel from Microalgae as Fuel for Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1386, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1386.
- Chisti , Y. 2007 Biodiesel from microalgae Biotechnology advances 25 3 294 306
- Ghasemi Y. et al. Microalgae biofuel potentials Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology 48 2011 126 144
- Scott , S. A. , Davey , M. P. , Dennis , J. S. , Horst , I. , Howe , C. J. , Lea-Smith , D. J. , & Smith , A. G. 2010 Biodiesel from algae: challenges and prospects Current Opinion in Biotechnology 21 3 277 286
- Malcata , F. X. 2011 Microalgae and biofuels: A promising partnership? Trends in biotechnology 29 11 542 549
- Chen , Y. F. , & Wu , Q. 2011 Production of Biodiesel from Algal Biomass: Current Perspectives and Future BIOFUELS 399
- Singh , J. , & Gu , S. 2010 Commercialization potential of microalgae for biofuels production Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 14 9 2596 2610
- Oncel Suphi S. Microalgae for a macroenergy world Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 26 2013 241 264
- Mata et al. Microalgae for biodiesel production and other applications:a review Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 14 2009 217 232
- Sheehan J , Dunahay T , Benemann J , Roessler P. A look back at the U.S Department of Energy's aquatic species program:biodiesel from algae National Renewable Energy Laboratory USA 1998
- European Parliament legislative resolution on the proposal for a directive of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Directive 98/70/EC relating to the quality of petrol and diesel fuels and amending Directive 2009/28/EC on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources
- Hirano A , Ueda R , Hirayama S , Ogushi Y. CO2 fixation and ethanol production with microalgal photosynthesis and intracellular anaerobic fermentation Energy 1997 22 2e3 137e42
- Tarwadi SJ , Chauhan VD. Seaweed biomass as a source of energy Energy 1987 12 5 375e8
- Huang GH , Chen F , Wei D , Zhang XW , Chen G. Biodiesel production by microalgal biotechnology Applied Energy 2010 87 1 38e46
- Singh SP , Singh D. Biodiesel production through the use of different sources and characterization of oils and their esters as the substitute of diesel: a review Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2010 14 1 200e16
- [Um BH , Kim YS. Review: a chance for Korea to advance algal-biodiesel technology Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 2009 15 1 1 7
- Song D , Fu J , Shi D. Exploitation of oil-bearing microalgae for biodiesel Chinese Journal of Biotechnology 2008 24 3 341 8
- Robles MA , González MPA , Esteban CL , Molina GE. Biocatalysis: towards ever greener biodiesel production Biotechnology Advances 2009 27 4 398 408
- Mata TM , Martins AA , Caetano NS. Microalgae for biodiesel production and other applications: a review Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2010 14 1 217 32
- Haik Y , Selim M.Y.E. and Abdulrehman , T. Combustion of algae oil methyl ester in an indirect injection diesel engine Energy 36 2011 1827 1835 10.1016/j.energy.2010.11.07
- Fisher , B. , Marchese , A. , Volckens , J. , Lee , T. et al. Measurement of Gaseous and Particulate Emissions from Algae-Based Fatty Acid Methyl Esters SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 292 321 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1523
- Scragg , A.H. , Morrison , J. and Shales , S.W. The use of a fuel containing Chlorella Vulgaris in a Diesel Engine Enzyme and Microbial Technology 33 2003 884 889
- Rawat , I. , Ranjith Kumar , R. , Mutanda , T. , & Bux , F. Biodiesel from microalgae: A critical evaluation from laboratory to large scale production Applied Energy 103 2013 444 467
- Chen Hu , Wang Jianxin , Shuai Shijin , Chen Wenmiao Study of oxygenated biomass fuel blends on a diesel engine Fuel 87 2008 3462 3468
- Amaro et al. Advances and perspectivities in using microalgae to produce biodiesel Applied Energy 88 2011 3402 3410
- AVL DiCom4000 User Manual AVL LIST GMBH Graz, Austria 2007
- Brettschneider J. Berechnung des Luftverhältnisses λ von Luft-Kraftstoffgemischen und des Einflusses von Messdaten auf λ Bosch Tech. Berichte 6 1979 4
- Venkanna B.K. , Reddy C.V. , Wadawadagi S.B. Performance, emission and combustion characteristics of direct injection diesel engine running on rice bran oil/diesel fuel blend Int J. Chem Biomol Eng 2 2009 131 137
- Özener , O. , Yüksek , L. , Ergenç , A. T. , & Özkan , M. 2012 Effects of soybean biodiesel on a DI diesel engine performance, emission and combustion characteristics Fuel
- Gumus , M. , Sayin , C. , & Canakci , M. 2012 The impact of fuel injection pressure on the exhaust emissions of a direct injection diesel engine fueled with biodiesel-diesel fuel blends Fuel 95 486 494
- Rakopoulos , C. D. , Antonopoulos , K. A. , Rakopoulos , D. C. , Hountalas , D. T. , & Giakoumis , E. G. 2006 Comparative performance and emissions study of a direct injection diesel engine using blends of diesel fuel with vegetable oils or bio-diesels of various origins Energy conversion and management 47 18 3272 3287