This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Vehicle Impacts during Dolly Rollover Tests and Comparison to Frontal and Side Impact Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Studies of rollover accidents have reported crash attributes such as the number of rolls, rollout distance, initial over-the-ground speed, average roll rate, average over-the-ground deceleration, magnitude of roof deformation, cumulative damage, time and post-crash headroom. While these more general attributes are related to the repeated vehicle-to-ground impacts during a rollover, it has been previously shown  that a specific ground impact during a rollover and its consequences can be studied in more detail by using its acceleration time history (crash pulse or impulse) and energy loss. These two quantities are particularly meaningful to use when studying impact mechanics, however, they are limited to circumstances where the data exists, which means real-world on-road crashes cannot be used directly.
Acceleration and energy data have been collected and previously published for three Subaru Forester dolly rollover tests, and have been studied in more detail in this writing. This same vehicle model has also been crash tested by the NHTSA. Nine single event crash tests were performed by the NHTSA, providing the unique opportunity to analyze and compare the effects of selected parameters in all twelve tests on the same vehicle architecture.
This research study builds upon previous analyses of three instrumented SAE J2114 dolly rollover tests using 2003 model-year Subaru Forester vehicles, to study the acceleration crash pulses acting on the rolling vehicles during ground impacts. The accelerations and velocities at the vehicle centers-of-gravity in the dolly rollover tests are further characterized. The rollover impact data is then compared to planar single frontal and side impact collision tests using the same make/model of vehicle. The analysis shows how the acceleration crash pulse peaks, averages, durations, and energies quantitatively compare for the different crash types.
CitationParker, D., Zolock, J., and Keefer, R., "A Study of Vehicle Impacts during Dolly Rollover Tests and Comparison to Frontal and Side Impact Tests," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0529, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0529.
- Croteau , J. , Zolock , J. , Larson , R. , Bare , C. et al. Dynamic Response of Vehicle Roof Structure and ATD Neck Loading During Dolly Rollover Tests SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 3 1 407 449 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0515
- Rose , N. , Beauchamp , G. , and Fenton , S. Factors Influencing Roof-to-Ground Impact Severity: Video Analysis and Analytical Modeling SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0726 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0726
- Rose , N. , Fenton , S. , Beauchamp , G. , and McCoy , R. Analysis of Vehicle-to-Ground Impacts During a Rollover with an Impulse-Momentum Impact Model SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1 1 105 123 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0178
- Rose , N. , Beauchamp , G. , and Fenton , S. The Influence of Vehicle-to-Ground Impact Conditions on Rollover Dynamics and Severity SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0194 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0194
- Heller , M. , Newberry , W. , Smedley , J. , Eswaran , S. et al. Occupant Kinematics and Injury Mechanisms During Rollover in a High Strength-to-Weight Ratio Vehicle SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 3 1 450 466 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0516
- Parker , D. , Ray , R. , Moore , T. , and Keefer , R. Rollover Severity and Occupant Protection - A Review of NASS/CDS Data SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0676 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0676
- FMVSS 208 Frontal Impact - 2008 Subaru Forester, 25 mph (39.8 kph) Closing Speed, Test No 6301, Test Date 3-3-2008
- NCAP Frontal Barrier Impact Test - 2003 Subaru Forester Wagon - M30507, 35 mph (57 kph) Closing Speed, Test No 4479, Test Data 2-5-2003
- Oblique Rigid Side Pole Impact - 2005 Subaru Forester, Vehicle into Barrier, 20 mph (32 kph) Closing Speed, 285 deg Impact Angle, Test No 5421, Test Date 6-10-2005
- Oblique Rigid Side Pole Impact - 2005 Subaru Forester, Vehicle into Barrier, 20 mph (32 kph) Closing Speed, 285 deg Impact Angle, Test No 5439, Test Date 3-16-2005
- Oblique Rigid Side Pole Impact - 2005 Subaru Forester, Vehicle into Barrier, 20 mph (32 kph) Closing Speed, 285 deg Impact Angle, Test No 6440, Test Date 7-12-2007
- NCAP Side Impact Test - 2003 Subaru Forester 2.5X AWD Wagon - M35500, 270 deg Impact Angle, 38 mph (61.6 kph) Closing Speed, Test No 4422, Test Date 10-29-2002
- MDB Into Left Side of 2005 Subaru Forester, 270 deg Impact Angle, 33 mph (52.9 kph) Closing Speed, Test No 6586, Test Date 7-29-2008
- MDB Into Left Side of 2005 Subaru Forester, 270 deg Impact Angle, 33 mph (53.1 kph) Closing Speed, Test No 5480, Test Date 7-18-2005
- MDB Into Left Side of 2005 Subaru Forester, 270 deg Impact Angle, 33 mph (53.5 kph) Closing Speed, Test No 5485, Test Date 6-24-2005