This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of the Coupled PC-CRASH - MADYMO Occupant Simulation Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
During recent years the accident simulation program PCCRASH was developed, which allows to simulate the vehicles movement before, during and after the impact. As shown in several publications, the software allows to calculate the 3D movement of all involved vehicles. Within SAE 1999-01-0444 a new coupling interface of PC-CRASH and the software MADYMO, developed by TNO in the Netherlands was published.
During last year's publication only few validation cases, mainly related to rear end impacts could be demonstrated.
In the mean while several well documented tests have been performed to validate the performance of this model also in frontal and lateral collisions as well as rollovers.
A special series of sled tests has been performed to study the movement of the passenger during and after the collision for various impact angles. These tests were performed on an active sled at various test speeds.
Regarding rollover a set of full scale tests was performed where a volunteer stunt driver was overturning the vehicles under various conditions. Mainly low speed rolls (app. 20 mph) were investigated. In parallel a standard Hybrid III dummy was sitting beside the stunt driver. The movements of the vehicle, dummy and driver were documented through a high speed video and onboard camera as well as acceleration measurements. This test also demonstrated the big difference in the movement between Human and Hybrid III dummy due to the active movement of the human driver and the long duration of the roll over.
The paper discusses the numerical results compared to the test results. For the sled tests Dummy kinematics as well as accelerations were compared. One major emphasis was set on the influence of the crash pulse, which cannot be derived in PC-CRASH. In this way the paper demonstrates the possibilities as well as the limitations of the numerical model.
CitationSteffan, H., Moser, A., Geigl, B., and Motomiya, Y., "Validation of the Coupled PC-CRASH - MADYMO Occupant Simulation Model," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0471, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0471.
Accident Reconstruction: Analysis, Simulation, and Visualization
Number: SP-1491; Published: 2000-03-06
Number: SP-1491; Published: 2000-03-06
- Brach R. M. Mechanical Impact Dynamics - Rigid Body Collisions John Wiley & Sons 1991
- Cliff, W.E. Montgomery, D.T. Validation of PC-Crash - A Momentum-Based Accident Reconstruction Program SAE 960885
- Day, T.D. Hargens, R.L. An Overview of the Way EDCRASH Computes Delta-V SAE 820045
- Eke Fidelis O. Kane, T. R. A Nonlinear Study of the Steady State Turning Behavior of Car Trailer Systems SAE 800156
- Führer, C. Leimkuhler B. Formulation and Numerical Solution of the Equations of Constrained Mechanical Motion; DFVLR Forschungsbericht; DFVLR 89-08
- Gnadler, R. Das Fahrverhalten von Kraftfahrzeugen bei instationärer Kurvenfahrt mit verschiedener Anordnung der Hauptträgheitsachsen und der Rollachse Diss. Univ. Karlsruhe Karlsruhe 1971
- Gnadler, Rolf Schmidt, A. Habich, K. CARAT: Ein Programmsystem zur rechnergestützten Unfallrekonstruktion, dargestellt am Beispiel der Kollisionsanalyse Verkehrsunfall und Fahrzeugtechnik Mai 1986
- Haug, E.J. Computer Aided Kinematics and Dynamics of Mechanical Systems I Basic Methods, Allyn and Bacon Series in Engineering Allyn and Bacon Boston 1989
- Ishikawa, H. Computer Simulation of Automobile Collisions - Reconstruction of Accidents SAE 851729
- Kersche F Computer-Digital-Simulation von Kollisionen Proc. 1. Internationales Fachseminar „Rechentechnische Unfallrekonstruktion“, Pilisszenkereszt, Mai 1988 27ff
- Kudlich H. Beitrag zur Mechanik des Kraftfahreug-Verkehrsunfalls Dissertation TU-Wien 1966
- Lugner, P. Lorenz, R. Schindler, E. The Connection of Theoretical Simulation and Experiments in Occupant Car Dynamic The Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and on Tracks. Hrsg Hedrick, H.J. Lisse, Swets-Zeitlinger 1984
- MacAdam, C.C. Fancher, P.S. Garrick, T.H. Gillespie, T. D. A Computerized Model for Simulating the Braking and Steering Dynamics of Trucks, Tractor- Semitrailers, Doubles and Triples Combinations Users Manual Highway Safety Research Institute The University of Michigan Ann Arbor Michigan 48109 1980
- MacInnis, D.D. Cliff, W. E. Ising, K.W. A Comparison of Moment of Inertia Estimation Techniques for Vehicle Dynamics Simulation SAE 970951
- MADYMO ® Users Manual V 5.3 TNO Road-Vehicles Research Institute 1997
- Martinez, J. Wallingford, Jerry G. Computer Aided Accident Reconstruction of Tractor- Semitrailers SAE 851529
- McHenry, R.R. Segal, D. J. DeLeys, N.J Computer simulation of single vehicle accidents” Stapp Car Crash Conf. Anaheim, California 1967 (October)
- McHenry, R.R Computer Program for Reconstruction of Highway Accidents SAE 730980
- McHenry, R.R. Extensions and refinements of the CRASH Computer Program, Part I, Analytical Reconstruction of Highway Accidents DOT-HS-5- 01124 Feb 1976
- Rill, G. Simulation von Kraftfahrzeugen Vieweg & Sohn Verlagsgesellschaft mbH 1994
- Slibar A. Die mechanischen Grundsätze des Stoßvorganges freier und geführter Körper und ihre Anwendung auf den Stoßvorgang von Fahrzeugen Archiv für Unfallforschung, 2. Jg., H. 1 1966 31
- Steffan H. PC-Crash, A Simulation Program for Car Accidents ISATA; 26th International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation Aachen 1993
- Steffan H. Moser A. The Collision and Trajectory Models of PC-Crash SAE 960886
- Steffan H. Moser A. The Trailer Simulation Model of PC-Crash SAE 980372
- Steffan H. Moser A. Geigl B. C. “A New Approach to Occupant Simulation Through the Coupling of PC-Crash and MADYMO SAE 99B125