This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Adaptive Driving Beam - Visibility Improvement versus Glare
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since 2012, adaptive driving beam (ADB) was homologated first in the ECE world (ECE 123). The idea behind is a camera based lighting system, which enables the driver to achieve at night nearly high beam visibility without glaring oncoming or proceeding vehicles and road users. Once the presence of other vehicles is detected the headlamps change the light pattern and block the light where the oncoming or proceeding vehicles are located.
Light sources are typically High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs, but today also first LED applications are visible.
For SAE, the definition of the parameters and the requested regulation changes to allow such systems are in progress.
The paper reports about an extensive study executed in Germany at TU Darmstadt to investigate not only the improvement in visibility for the driver with such systems, but also evaluate the disability and discomfort glare for other road users.
The results are demonstrating clearly, that the existing ADB systems do not cause additional glare for the road users and also do not lead to an increased subjective discomfort glare rating. The positive effect for the driver in enhancing the visibility at night is significant and improves safety at night time driving.
|Journal Article||Headlamp Levelness and Glare: Preliminary Analyses Based on Field Data|
|Technical Paper||Adaptive High Beam Systems: Visual Performance and Safety Effects|
CitationNeumann, R., "Adaptive Driving Beam - Visibility Improvement versus Glare," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0436, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0436.
- Neumann , R. Effectivity of Automatic Glare Free High Beam Lighting Devices in Night Time Driving SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0751 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0751
- Zydek B. Adaptive Headlamp Systems TU Darmstadt, Oral Presentation at ISAL 2013 Darmstadt 2013
- De Boer , J. 1967 Public Lighting Eindhoven, Netherlands Philips Technical Library 1967
- Neumann R. Importance of Auto-Levelling to avoid Glare for Road Users GTB Field Test, Vision Congress, 9.10.2012, Versailles 2012
- NHTSA Report: Investigation of Safety-Based Advanced Forward-Lighting Concepts to Reduce Glare DOT HS 811 033 2008