This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reflectors only Modules for AFS Functions using LEDs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
When one considers designing full AFS headlamps today he may use either Xenon projector modules with electromechanical devices able to change the beam's shape or “standard” dynamic bending light projector systems with additional modules for motorway, adverse weather or town lighting. For the time being, regulation only allows using bulbs for this purpose, but LEDs will soon be a better choice: several cars with AFS headlamps using Xenon projectors and LED modules with thick plastic lenses have already been publicly shown. In this paper, we describe reflectors only solutions for LEDs providing the same benefits, an alternative styling, different integration options, and a significantly greater ease of manufacture. With full LEDs headlamps in view using only mirrors, these modules will allow AFS implementations with a fully coherent styling.
CitationAlbou, P. and Sanchez, V., "Reflectors only Modules for AFS Functions using LEDs," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0341, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0341.
- Future halogen headlamps improvement for enhanced vision and increased safety Charret Jean-Paul proceedings of the VISION 2006 congress SIA October 2006
- Lighting device for vehicle with two turn-headlamps Lelevé Joël Prévost André French patent FR2760705 September 1998
- Projector-type headlamp for motor vehicles Blusseau Eric Jeannot Laurent Albou Pierre French patent FR2831497 May 2003
- Fixed cornering headlamp for motor vehicles Lelevé Joël French patent FR2857921 January 2005
- Led Module for Headlamp Albou Pierre SAE technical paper 2003-01-0556 April 2003
- Motor vehicle headlamp with predetermined light distribution diagram uses lamp units containing one or more light-emitting diodes Ishida Hiroyuki Kiyoshi Sazuka Masashi Tatsukawa French patent FR2844033 April 2005
- Headlamp with LEDs light sources only Albou Pierre Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Automotive Lighting Herbert Utz Veralg, Munich 2005
- LED modules for front lighting applications Albou Pierre Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Progress in Automobile Lighting Herbert Utz Veralg, Munich 2003
- XLED Albou Pierre Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Automotive Lighting Technische Universität Darmstadt, Laboratory of Lighting Technology Darmstädter Lichttechnik 12 Herbert Utz Verlag, Munich 2007
- UNIFORM PROVISIONS CONCERNING THE APPROVAL OF ADAPTIVE FRONT-LIGHTING SYSTEMS (AFS) FOR MOTOR VEHICLES United Nations March 2007
- Module de projecteur avec diode électroluminescente French patent application FR200605677 June 2006 deals with the ML modules
- Module d'éclairage pour projecteur lumineux de véhicule automobile, et projecteur comportant un tel module French patent application FR200603062 March 2006 deals with the PBL modules