This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methodology to Evaluate the Performance of Diesel Engine Cold Starts using Engine Speed Profile Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of new fuels involves several areas of an oil company and several tests, including vehicle emissions tests on chassis dynamometers and engine performance tests on engine bench laboratory. Particularly for diesel and blends of gasoline fuels, an important test is to evaluate the engine speed profile during the vehicle cold start.
In this work, for engine speed profile analysis, it was developed a system to acquire data using the engine's flywheel ring gear information and the audio input of a standard notebook computer. It was also developed a specific software to analyze the acquired signals. The system is able to point out several important features of the engine start such as the starter motor beginning of operation, the maximum engine speed during the start time, the settling time and the engine idling speed. All of this information can be collected using a low cost set of instrumentation devices. This system is also able to analyze, for a single revolution of the engine, small variations in engine speed.
Thus, this paper proposes a simple and low cost procedure, which can be performed by any laboratory, for engine speed analysis of different vehicles and engines.
- Sergio William Botero - Petróleo Brasileiro S/A - Petrobras
- Marcos Fernando Mendes de Brito - Petróleo Brasileiro S/A - Petrobras
- Rogério Nascimento de Carvalho - Petróleo Brasileiro S/A - Petrobras
- Antonio Carlos Scardini Villela - Petróleo Brasileiro S/A - Petrobras
- Tadeu Cavalcante Cordeiro de Melo - Petróleo Brasileiro S/A - Petrobras
CitationBotero, S., de Brito, M., de Carvalho, R., Villela, A. et al., "Methodology to Evaluate the Performance of Diesel Engine Cold Starts using Engine Speed Profile Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0252, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0252.
- Han , Zhiping Han , Henein , Naeim , Nitu , Bogdan Diesel Engine Cold Start Combustion Instability and Control Strategy SAE 2001 World Congress Detroit, Michigan March 5 8 2001 SAE Number 2001-01-1237
- Aubin , Karen , Smith , Heather Evaluation of Tailpipe Emissions and Cold Start Performance of E85 Vehicles from the 2000 Ethanol Challenge SAE 2001 World Congress Detroit, Michigan March 5 8 2001 SAE Number 2001-01-0678
- Ramsden , Edward , Book: Hall-Effect Sensors: Theory and Application Second Newnes 2006
- MatLab http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/
- Liu , Hengqing , Henein , N. A. , Bryzik , Walter Simulation of Diesel Engines Cold-Start 2003 SAE World Congress Detroit, Michigan March 3 6 2003 SAE Number 2003-01-0080
- Heywood , J.B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals 9780070286375 1988 McGraw-Hill
- Zhang , Jiangyan , Shen , Tielong , Riccardo Marino Model-based cold-start speed control scheme for spark ignition engines Control Engineering Practice Elsevier 2010 10.1016