This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Engine Oil Consumption Studies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Fleet Week
An oil consumption test procedure has been developed in a 6-cyl, 425 hp, turbocharged and after-cooled diesel engine. Tests conducted on reference oils agree with good and poor oil consumption characteristics found with these same oils in the field.
This paper includes evaluations using the engine test procedure as well as various laboratory bench tests which measure the effects of viscosity, volatility, and oxidation stability. Both bench and engine test results indicate that traditional properties, such as viscosity and volatility, do not completely account for variations in oil consumption. The data indicate that the problam of obtaining low diesel engine oil consumption may involve a complex combination of factors.
|Technical Paper||Low Temperature Flow Properties of Engine Oils|
|Technical Paper||Effects of Synthetic Lubricants on Standard Rubber Compounds|
|Technical Paper||The influence of Esters on Elastomer Seals|
CitationGergel, W. and Riester, J., "Diesel Engine Oil Consumption Studies," SAE Technical Paper 740525, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740525.
- Georgi Carl W. “Motor Oil Consumption Characteristics.” SAE Quarterly Transactions July 1949 431 440
- Overcash R. L. Hart W. McClure I. L. “How Do Volatility, Viscosity and V.I. Improvers Affect Oil Consumption?” Paper 698 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1956
- Lowther H. V. “Some Factors Affecting Engine Oil Consumption.” Paper 867 SAE National Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Tulsa November 1956
- Patterson J. K. Gregor R. C. “Lubricant Factors Affecting Passenger Car Oil Consumption.” Paper 252 SAE National Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Cleveland November 1957
- Murphy C. K. Bennett P. A. “V.I. Improvers and Engine Performance.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680071
- Crouse W. W. Koelsch B. N. Preston W. D. “Measurement of Oil Economy in Passenger-Car Engines.” Paper 680414 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit May 1968
- Mayer W. J. Krause D. P. Moore C. P. Murphy C. B. “Oil-Consumption Measurements of Individual Cylinders in Automotive Engines.” Paper 700055 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1970
- Orrin Douglas S. Coles Bryan W. “Effects of Engine Oil Composition on Oil Consumption.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710141
- Shepler Paul R. Weinberger Carl S. “Factorial Testing of Diesel Engine Piston Rings.” SAE Transactions 76 1967 paper 670934
- Hayes Bruce “Piston Rings for Diesel Engines Effect of Keystone Angle on Oil Consumption.” Paper 710815 SAE Combined National Fuels and Lubricants, Powerplant, and Truck Meetings St. Louis October 1971
- Shepler Paul R. Weinberger Carl S. “Power Part Parameters Affecting Lube Oil Consumption and Blowby in Small Bore, High Speed Diesels.” Paper 690752 SAE National Powerplant Meeting Cleveland October 1969
- Bame J. L. Coon J. S. “Performance of Multigrade Oils in Heavy-Duty Diesel and Gasoline Engines.” SAE Transactions 76 1967 paper 670956
- Brandes J. G. “Diesel Lubricant Performance in Highway Truck and City Coach Service.” Paper 670962 SAE Combined National Fuels and Lubricants, Powerplant, and Transportation Meetings Pittsburgh October-November 1967
- Lyons J. W. Kim K. Y. Colwell R. E. “Viscosity and Flow Measurement, A Laboratory Handbook of Rheology.” New York: Interscience Publishers 1963 122 129
- Daniels C. A. Dr. letter to Lubrizol Corp. from B. F. Goodrich Chemical Co. Technical Center Avon Lake, Ohio October 17 1973
- Rodgers J. J. Gallopoulos N. E. “Friction Characteristics of Some Automatic Transmission Fluid Components.” ASLE Paper No. 66 LC-11 October 1966
- Coleman L. E. “Development of Type F Automatic Transmission Fluids.” Paper 680039 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Levin H. Sprague H. G. et al “Measurement of Extreme Pressure Properties of Lubricants.” ASTM Bulletin No. 181 April 1952 43