This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pump Controlled Steer-by-Wire System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Modern on-road vehicles have been making steady strides when it comes to employing technological advances featuring active safety systems. However, off-highway machines are lagging in this area and are in dire need for modernization. One chassis system that has been receiving much attention in the automotive field is the steering system, where several electric and electrohydraulic steering architectures have been implemented and steer-by-wire technologies are under current research and development activities. On the other hand, off-highway articulated steering vehicles have not adequately evolved to meet the needs of Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) as well as their end customers. Present-day hydrostatic steering systems are plagued with poor energy efficiency due to valve throttling losses and are considered passive systems relative to safety, adjustability, and comfort.
This paper introduces a novel scheme of an electro-hydraulic power steering system that utilizes a proven energy-saving technology, pump displacement control, which eliminates throttling losses associated with hydraulic control valves by controlling the displacement of a variable displacement pump. This new architecture lends itself to high energy efficiency resulting in lower fuel consumption and reduced emissions, higher machine productivity and reduced operator fatigue, and active safety functions that counteract instabilities and reject disturbances.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Test Method for Measuring Power Consumption of Hydraulic Pumps for Trucks and Buses|
|Technical Paper||Development of KUBOTA Lawn & Garden Tractors Manufactured in the USA|
CitationDaher, N. and Ivantysynova, M., "Pump Controlled Steer-by-Wire System," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2349, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2349.
- Daher , N. and Ivantysynova , M. Electro-hydraulic energy-saving power steering systems of the future Proceedings of the 7th FPNI PhD Symposium Reggio Emilia, Italy 929 952 2012
- Daher , N. and Ivantysynova , M. Novel Energy-Saving Steer-by-Wire System for Articulated Steering Vehicles: A Compact Wheel Loader Case Study Proceedings of the 13th Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power, SICFP2013 Linkoping, Sweden 2013
- Merritt , H.E. Hydraulic Control Systems John Wileys and Sons Cincinnati, Ohio 1967
- Milliken , W.F. and Milliken , D.L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 978-1-56091-526-3 1994
- Rahmfeld , R. Development and Control of Energy Saving Hydraulic Servo Drives for Mobile Systems Ph.D. Thesis Dept. of Aircraft Systems, Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg Hamburg, Germany 2002
- Rahmfeld , R. and Ivantysynova , M. Energy Saving Hydraulic Actuators for Mobile Machines Proceedings of 1st Bratislavian Fluid Power Sysmposium 47 57 Častá - Píla, Slovakia 1998
- Rahmfeld , R. and Ivantysynova , M. Displacement Controlled Wheel Loader - a simple and clever Solution 4th International Fluid Power Conference Proceedings 183 196 Dresden, Germany 2004
- Williamson , C. , Zimmerman , J. , and Ivantysynova , M. Efficiency Study of an Excavator Hydraulic System Based on Displacement-Controlled Actuators ASME/Bath Workshop on Fluid Power and Motion Control (FPMC08) Bath, UK 2008
- Williamson , C. and Ivantysynova , M. Power Optimization for Multi-Actuator Pump-Controlled Systems Proceedings of the 7th International Fluid Power Conference Aachen 2010 (7IFK) 1 91 102 2010