This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Chilled Water System Analysis Tool (CWSAT) and Application to Manufacturing Plants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Chilled water systems constitute a major portion of energy consumption in manufacturing plants. In many cases, these systems do not operate at optimal efficiency due to the operating parameters set and/or the components used. As companies and building administrators search for ways to reduce operating costs and save money, energy conservation is on the forefront of many boardroom discussions. Because chilled water systems are a major consumer of energy, they are prime targets for energy conservation analysis. However, the time constraints and ability of the interested parties make the task of analyzing the system daunting and is therefore, rarely undertaken. For this reason, a tool to provide energy consumption and potential saving estimates would be highly beneficial. The results of this preliminary analysis may provide the motivation to undertake a more through savings analysis. The Chilled Water System Analysis Tool (CWSAT) software was developed as a primary screening tool for energy evaluation.
This paper first discusses the steps taken to accurately analyze the current chilled water system and its components. Several energy reduction opportunities related to the current chilled water system are then discussed. Lastly, the paper examines five industrial facilities, some who supply products to the automotive industry, in order to determine energy efficiency effects of changes to chilled water system operations. All recommendations presented in this study were implemented by plants in question. Current practices and observations are provided along with recommended action and calculated results. The systems analyzed are applicable to chilled water systems in the Northeast region of the United States.
CitationQuintal, A., Gaudani, G., and Kosanovic, D., "Chilled Water System Analysis Tool (CWSAT) and Application to Manufacturing Plants," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0832, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0832.
- Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute Performance Rating Of Water-Chilling and Heat pump Water-Heating Packages Using the Vapor Compression Cycle AHRI Standard 550/590 (I-P) 2011
- Braun , A. Continued Development of Computerized Tool for Evaluating Energy Conservation Opportunities in Industrial and Commercial Chilled Water Systems Unpublished Master's Thesis Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Massachusetts Amherst Massachusetts, USA 2006
- Evans , J. J. Validation Study of a Chilled Water System Analysis Tool Through System Measurement Master's Thesis Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Massachusetts Amherst Massachusetts, USA 2006
- Landman , W. A New Era of Free Cooling Trane Engineers Newsletter 20 3 1 7 1991 http://www.trane.com/commercial/library/en20-3.pdf
- Socks , M. J. A Chilled Water System Analysis Tool for Estimating Operational Energy Savings Master's Thesis Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Massachusetts Amherst Massachusetts, USA 2004
- Stanford , H. W. III HVAC Water Chillers and Cooling Towers: Fundamentals, Application, and Operation Taylor & Francis Group Florida 978-1-4398-6211-7 2011
- Stocki , M. K. Investigation and Evaluation of Energy Conservation Opportunities for Chilled Water Systems Master's Thesis Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Massachusetts Amherst Massachusetts, USA 2001
- Muller , M.R. , Simek , M. , Mak , J. , Mitrovic , B. Modern Industrial Assessments: A Training Manual The Office of Industrial Productivity and Energy Assessment 2001
- Trane Company Chilled Water System Design and Operation: Cost-Reducing Optimization Strategies American Standards Inc. CTV-SLB005-EN 2000