This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nonlinear Neural Network Modeling of Aircraft Synchronous Generator with High Power Density
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 22, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Preliminary investigations of nonlinear modeling of aircraft synchronous generators using neural networks are presented. Aircraft synchronous generators with high power density tend operate at current-levels proportional to the magnetic saturation region of the machine's material. The nonlinear model accounts for magnetic saturation of the generator, which causes the winding flux linkages and inductances to vary as a function of current. Finite element method software is used to perform a parametric sweep of direct, quadrature, and field currents to extract the respective flux linkages. This data is used to train a neural network which yields current as a function of flux linkage. The neural network is implemented in a Simulink synchronous generator model and simulation results are compared with a previously developed linear model. Results show that the nonlinear neural network model can more accurately describe the responsiveness and performance of the synchronous generator. The synchronous generator under test is a 200 kVA output power, 12 krpm rotational velocity design.
CitationCamarano, A., Wu, T., Wolff, M., and Zumberge, J., "Nonlinear Neural Network Modeling of Aircraft Synchronous Generator with High Power Density," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2158, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-2158.
- Cutts, S.J. “A collaborative approach to the More Electric Aircraft,” Power Electronics, Machines and Drives, 2002. International Conference on (Conf. Publ. No. 487) 223 228 4 7 June 2002
- Gieras, J.F. “Advancements in Electric Machine,” Springer 2008
- Fitzgerald, A.E. Kingsley, C. Jr. Umans, S.D. “Electric Machinery,” McGraw-Hill 6th 270 2003
- Huang, H. Karipides, D. Abbas, M. Tsui, D. “Aircraft engine starter/generator and controller,” U.S. Patent WO 2007/111970 A2 October 4 2007
- Wu, T. Camarano, T. “Electromagnetic Design of Aircraft Synchronous Generator with High Power Density,” 50 th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Jan. 9 12 2012
- Woodburn, D. Wu, T. Chow, L. Leland, Q. et al. “Integrated Nonlinear Dynamic Modeling and Field Oriented Control of Permanent Magnet (PM) Motor for High Performance EMA,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1742 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1742
- Wang, Y. Zhu, J. Wang, S. “Nonlinear Magnetic Model of Surface Mounted PM Machines Incorporating Saturation Saliency,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 45 10 4684 4687 2009 10.1109/TMAG.2009.2022641
- Wang, Y. Guo, N. Zhu, J. “Initial Rotor Position and Magnetic Polarity Identification and PM Synchronous Machine Based on Nonlinear Machine Model and Finite Element Analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 46 6 2016 2019 2010 10.1109/TMAG.2010.2042690
- De Belie, F. Melkebeek, J. Vandevelde, L. “A Nonlinear Model for Synchronous Machines to Describe High-Frequency Signal Based Position Estimators,” IEEE Conference on Electric Machines and Drives May 15 2005
- Gao, W. Meliopoulos, A. “A Nonlinear Model for Studying Synchronous Machine Dynamic Behavior in Phase Coordinates,” IEEE Conference on Industrial Technology Dec. 14 17 2005
- Chen, H. Xie, G. “Nonlinear Mathematical Model of Switched Reluctance Machine System,” IEEE Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics Oct. 10 13 2004
- Chow, M. Thomas, R. “Neural Network Synchronous Machine Modeling,” IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems May 8 11 1989
- Chen, J. Wu, T. Vaidya, J. Tschantz, J. “Nonlinear Electrical Simulation of High-Power Synchronous Generator System,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3041 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3041
- Grzesiak Lech, M. Skoczylas, J. “AC Machine torque and Stator Flux Estimation using a Neural Network Based on the Steady-State 2D Field Model,” IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics June 17 20 1996
- Shao, Z Zhan, Y. Guo, Y. “Fuzzy Neural Network-Based Model Reference Adaptive Inverse Control for Induction Machines,” IEEE International Conference on Applied Superconductivity and Electromagnetic Devices Sep. 25 27 2009
- Dong, X. Wang, G. Wang, J. Zhao, X. “Study on Application of the Asynchronous Motor Direct Torque Control Based on Neural Network,” IEEE International Conference on Communications, Circuits, and Subsystems May 27 30 2005