This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on the Rig Tests for Evaluation of Steering Response of Electric Power Steering(EPS) Sub-System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
EPS has now become a compelling technology that nowadays rapidly replacing hydraulic power steering in world market because of its fuel efficiency, sophisticated assist control, additional safety and convenience features. There are various types of EPS such as Column assist type, Pinion assist type and Rack assist type. Small cars with less rack force are equipped with Column or Pinion assist type EPS but for full-sized vehicles with big rack power consumption need Rack assist EPS, what we call R-EPS. Each type of EPS has merits and demerits, but from the perspective of vehicle handling performance, R-EPS has some strong points. And this is why author started this study. Subjective handling evaluation has proven the superiority of R-EPS but objective evaluation was needed. So authors have tried to compare the on center handling characteristics of each EPS on the rig tests and proposed somewhat easy and reliable test method. And by using a design of experiment (DOE) approach, this study was performed to investigate interactions between logical factors of control algorithm that influence the response of EPS.
|Technical Paper||A Comparison Study Between Two Parallel Hybrid Control Concepts|
|Technical Paper||B-COOL Project - Ford Ka and Fiat Panda R-744 MAC Systems|
|Technical Paper||Tools and Strategies for Hybrid-Electric Drivesystem Optimization|
CitationLee, S. and Roh, E., "Research on the Rig Tests for Evaluation of Steering Response of Electric Power Steering(EPS) Sub-System," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1920, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1920.
- Segel, Leonard, “Theoretical Prediction and Experimental Substantiation of The Response of The Automobile to Steering Control”, I.Mech.E.,1956-57
- Norman, K., “Objective Evaluation of On Center Handling Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 840069, 1984, doi: 10.4271/840069.
- Sakai, HidekiDr., Higuchi, AkiraDr., “A Theoretical Vehicle Model for Design and Evaluation of On-Center Handling”, Proceedings of AVEC 2000 5th Int'l Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control.
- Adams, W. and Topping, R., “The Steering Characterizing Functions (SCFs) and Their Use in Steering System Specification, Simulation, and Synthesis,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1353, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1353.
- Heathershaw, A., “Developments in On-Center Steering Evaluation and Testing,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0796, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0796.
- Ryan, Barbara F., Ryan, Thomas A. and Joiner, Brian L., “MINITAB Handbook: Updated for Release 14”, Brooks/Cole - Thomson Learning Inc.