This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Robotic End-Effector of Drilling and Fasteners Inserter for Aircraft Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work presents the EFIP project (Efetuador de Furação e Inserção de Prendedores, Portuguese for “Effector of Drilling and Fasteners Inserter”), a robot end-effector design for implementing an automatic riveting process used in manufacturing aircraft fuselage components. The EFIP is mounted in an industrial anthropomorphic robot, with a seven-meter (7m) linear unit able to range over the entire side of an aircraft fuselage section. The end-effector has several modules that allows for a one-step-drilling process, including a special drill with chamfer; automatic rivet delivery; automatic rivet insertion; sealant applicator for each rivet; perpendicular drilling correction mechanism; clamp force control loop, and means for visual inspection. Each module can work independently or in integration with others, controlled by a graphical interface in a remote station. Other support devices complete the system, managing chip aspiration, tool cleaning and lubrication, liquid cooling of the spindle, and sub-systems to ensure safety. Integration of the end-effector and robot controllers are described in detail. Full functionality of the EFIP has been demonstrated in experiments testing its operational performance. The results have shown high stability in the drilling process, with the capability index (Cp) for the holes created nearing sigma 4.
CitationEguti, C., Trabasso, L., Villani, E., Coracini, G. et al., "Development of a Robotic End-Effector of Drilling and Fasteners Inserter for Aircraft Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1858, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1858.
- Eguti, C. C. A. Trabasso, L. G. Gomes, J. de, O. “An Experimental Orbital Drilling Device for Automating the Drill Process of Aeronautical Structures” Mechatronics 2008 June 23 25 University of Limerick Ireland 1 6 2008
- DeVlieg, R. Feikert, E. “One-Up Assembly with Robots,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2297 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2297
- Zou, C. Liu, F. “An off-line Programming System for Flexible Drilling of Aircraft Wing Structures” Assembly Automation 31 2 161 168 2011
- van Duin, S. Kihlman, H. “Robotic Normalizing Force Feedback,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3291 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3291
- Summers, M. “Robot Capability Test and Development of Industrial Robot Positioning System for the Aerospace Industry,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3336 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3336
- Iovenitti, P. G. Mutapcic, E. Nagarajah, C. R. “Positioning and Orienting a Drill Axis on a Curved Surface” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. 17 484 488 2001
- Liang, J. Bi, S. “Design and experimental study of an end effector for robotic drilling” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. 50 399 407 2010