This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On Criteria for the Robust Design of Squeal Free Brakes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The goal of constructing squeal free brakes is still difficult to achieve for design engineers. There are many measures that are beneficial to avoid or decrease brake squeal, examples are the increase in damping and the introduction of asymmetries in the brake rotor. For an efficient design process these measures have to be quantified. This is difficult due to the high complexity of the system which is caused by the contact conditions and the complicated properties of the pad material which consists of a vast amount of different components. The attempt presented in this paper is to use fundamental models of the excitation mechanism for brake squeal in order to quantify the rate of asymmetry and damping required to get far away from the squeal boundary. The relation can be helpful to generate adequate objective functions for a systematic structural optimization of brake rotors against squeal and can be used as a design guideline.
CitationWagner, A., Schönecker, M., Spelsberg-Korspeter, G., and Hagedorn, P., "On Criteria for the Robust Design of Squeal Free Brakes," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1816, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1816.
- Hochlenert, D. Spelsberg-Korspeter, G. Hagedorn, P. “A note on safety relevant vibrations induced by brake squeal,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 329 3867 3872 2010
- Kinkaid, N. M. O'Reilly, O. M. Papadopoulos, P. “Automotive disc brake squeal,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 267 105 166 2003
- Quyang, H. Nack, W. Yuan, Y. Chen, F. “Numerical analysis of automotive disc brake squeal: a review,” Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration 1 3/4 207 231 2005
- von Wagner, U. Hochlenert, D. Jearsiripongkul, T. Hagedorn, P. “Active Control of Brake Squeal Via “smart pads”,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2773 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2773
- Neubauer, M. Wallaschek, J. “Vibration damping with shunted piezoceramics: fundamentals and technical applications,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 10.1016/j.ymssp.2011.05.011 2011
- Nishiwaki, M. Harada, H. Okamura, H. Ikeuchi, T. “Study on Disc Brake Squeal,” SAE Technical Paper 890864 1989 10.4271/890864
- Fieldhouse, J. Steel, W. Talbot, C. Siddiqui, M. “Rotor Asymmetry Used to Reduce Disc Brake Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2797 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2797
- Spelsberg-Korspeter, G. “Breaking of symmetries for stabilization of rotating continua in frictional contact,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 322 798 807 2009
- Spelsberg-Korspeter, G. “Structural optimization for the avoidance of self-excited vibrations based on analytical models,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 329 4829 4840 2010
- Spelsberg-Korspeter, G. “Robust structural design against self-excited vibrations,” Habilitationsschrift TU Darmstadt 2012