This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Micromechanics of Catalytic Soot Oxidation in Diesel Particulate Filters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Despite the great effort devoted to the modeling of the operation of catalytic DPFs, even today very simple expressions are used for the soot oxidation rate. In the relevant to DPF operation case of a gas phase rich in oxygen, the structure of the soot-catalyst geometry and its evolution during oxidation determines the reaction rate. An extensive set of controlled experiments (isothermal or with linear temperature increase) using fuel borne catalysts and catalytic coatings has been performed in order to obtain corresponding soot oxidation rate-conversion curves. The shape of the resulting curves cannot be described by the typical theories for solid phase reactions posing the need for microstructural models for the micromechanics of soot catalyst interactions. The model in the case of soot-catalytic coating interaction is based on a population balance approach for different classes of soot particles which have different levels of contact to the catalyst sites and the dynamic evolution of these populations during oxidation, taking into account migration and fragmentation phenomena. For the case of fuel borne catalysts the initial aggregation state between the soot and catalyst particles is shown to largely determine the evolution of the system during oxidation. The micromechanical models of soot-catalyst interaction are able to describe the experimentally observed oxidation rate-conversion dependencies and they are readily integrated into DPF simulation codes in order to improve their performance.
CitationKonstandopoulos, A., Kostoglou, M., and Lorentzou, S., "The Micromechanics of Catalytic Soot Oxidation in Diesel Particulate Filters," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1288, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1288.
- Ishiguro, T., Suzuki, N., Fujitani, Y., Morimoto, H., “Microstructural Changes of Diesel Soot During Oxidation”, Combustion and Flame, 85, 1-6, 1991.
- Donnet, J.B., “Fifty years of research and progress on carbon black”, Carbon, 32, 7, 1305-1310, 1994.
- Hurt, R.H., Sarofim, A.F., Longwell, J.P., “Gasification induced densification of carbons: from soot to form coke”, Combustion and Flame, 95, 430-432, 1993.
- Ishiguro, T., Takatori, Y., Akihama, K., “Microstructure of Diesel Soot Particles Probed by Electron Microscopy: First Observation of Inner Core and Outer Shell”, Combustion and Flame, 108, 231-234, 1997.
- Vander Wal, R.L. and Tomasek, A.J., “Soot oxidation: dependence upon initial nanostructure”, Combustion and Flame, 134, 1-9, 2003.
- Müller, J.O., Su, D.S., Jentoft, R.E., Kröhnert, I., Jentoft, F.C., Schlögl, R., “Morphology-controlled reactivity of carbonaceous materials towards oxidation”, Catalysis Today, 102-103, 259-265, 2005.
- Kandas, A.W., Gokhan Senel, I., Levendis, Y., Sarofim, A.F., “Soot surface area evolution during air oxidation as evaluated by small angle X-ray scattering and CO2 adsorption”, Carbon, 43, 241-251, 2005.
- Yezerets, A., Currier, N.W., Eadler, H.A., Suresh, A., Madden, P.F., Branigin, M. A., “Investigation of the oxidation behavior of diesel particulate matter”, Catalysis Today, 88, 17-25, 2003.
- Hennig, G.R., “Catalytic Oxidation of Graphite”, J. Inorg. Nucl. Chem., 24, 1129-1137, 1962.
- Murphy, M., Hillenbrand, L., Trayser, D., and Wasser, J., “Assessment of Diesel Particulate Control-Direct and Catalytic Oxidation,” SAE Technical Paper 810112, 1981, doi: 10.4271/810112.
- Neeft, J. P., “Catalytic Oxidation of Soot; Potential for the Reduction of Diesel Particulate Emissions”, Ph.D. Thesis, Technical University of Delft, Netherlands, 1995.
- Van Setten, B., “Development of a Liquid Catalyst for Diesel Soot Oxidation”, Ph.D Thesis, Technical University of Delft, Netherlands, 2001.
- Konstandopoulos, A., Papaioannou, E., Zarvalis, D., Skopa, S. et al., “Catalytic Filter Systems with Direct and Indirect Soot Oxidation Activity,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0670, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0670.
- Konstandopoulos, A.G., Kostoglou, M., Vlachos, N., Kladopoulou, E., “Advances in the Science and Technology of Diesel Particulate Filter Simulation”, Advances in Chemical Engineering, 33, 213-275, 2007.
- Kostoglou, M., Konstandopoulos, A.G., “Effect of soot layer microstructure on Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration” AIChE Journal 51, 2534-2546, 2005.
- Stanmore, B.R., Brilhac, J.F., Gilot, P., “The oxidation of soot: a review of experiments, mechanisms and models” Carbon, 39, 2247-2268, 2001.
- Messerer, A., Niessner, R., Poschl, U., “Comprehensive kinetic characterization of the oxidation and gasification of model and real diesel soot by nitrogen oxides and oxygen under engine exhaust conditions: Measurements, Langmuir-Hinshelwood and Arrhenius parameters”, Carbon, 44, 307-324, 2006.
- Marcuccilli, F., Gilot, P., Stanmore, B., Prado, G., “Experimental and theoretical study of diesel soot reactivity”, Twenty-fifth Symposium (International) on Combustion/The Combustion Institute, 619-626, 1994.
- Neeft, J.P.A., Xander Nijhuis, T., Smakman, E., Makkee, M., Moulijn, J.A., “Kinetics of the oxidation of diesel soot”, Fuel, 76, 12, 1129-1136, 1997.
- Peterson, R., “The Oxidation Rate of Diesel Particulate Which Contains Lead,” SAE Technical Paper 870628, 1987, doi: 10.4271/870628.
- Darcy, P., Da Costa, P., Mellottée, H., Trichard, J.M., Djéga-Mariadassou, G., “Kinetics of catalyzed and non-catalyzed oxidation of soot from a diesel engine”, Catalysis Today, 119, 252-256, 2007.
- Konstandopoulos, A.G., Kostoglou, M, “A mathematical model of soot oxidation on catalytically coated ceramic filters”, Advances in Vehicle Control and Safety, Amiens, France, 137-143, 1998.
- Konstandopoulos, A.G., Kostoglou, M., “Periodically Reversed Flow Regeneration of Diesel Particulate Traps”, SAE Tech. Paper No. 1999-01-0469, 1999.
- Kostoglou, M., Housiada, P., Konstandopoulos, A.G., “Multi-channel Simulation of Regeneration in Honeycomb Monolithic Diesel Particulate Filters”, Chem. Eng. Sci., 58, 3273-3283, 2003.
- Konstandopoulos, A., Kostoglou, M., and Housiada, P., “Spatial Non-Uniformities in Diesel Particulate Trap Regeneration,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0908, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0908.
- Konstandopoulos, A., Kostoglou, M., Housiada, P., Vlachos, N. et al., “Multichannel Simulation of Soot Oxidation in Diesel Particulate Filters,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0839, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0839.
- Konstandopoulos, A., Kostoglou, M., Lorentzou, S., Pagkoura, C. et al., “Soot Oxidation Kinetics in Diesel Particulate Filters,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1129, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1129.
- Konstandopoulos, A., Lorentzou, S., Pagkoura, C., and Boettcher, J., “Advanced Catalyst Coating Technology for Porous Substrates,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1951, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1951.
- Lorentzou, S., Pagkoura, C., Zygogianni, A., Kastrinaki, G. et al., “Catalytic Nano-structured Materials for Next Generation Diesel Particulate Filters,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 1(1):189-198, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0417.
- Karadimitra, K., Papaioannou, E., Konstandopoulos, A.G., “Oxidation of Diesel Particulate in Catalytic Filters Coated by Aerosol Spray Pyrolysis”, Journal of Aerosol Science, 32 (Suppl. 1), pp. 233-234, 2001.
- Konstandopoulos, A., Kostoglou, M., Skaperdas, E., Papaioannou, E. et al., “Fundamental Studies of Diesel Particulate Filters: Transient Loading, Regeneration and Aging,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1016, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-1016.
- Konstandopoulos, A., Zarvalis, D., Papaioannou, E., Vlachos, N. et al., “The Diesel Exhaust Aftertreatment (DEXA) Cluster: A Systematic Approach to Diesel Particulate Emission Control in Europe,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0694, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0694.
- Ogyu, K., Oya, T., Kasuga, T., and Ohno, K., “Study on Filter Substrate Structure for Lower Backpressure and Higher Regeneration Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1526, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1526.
- Kostoglou, M., Konstandopoulos, A. G., “Oxidative Fragmentation and Coagulation of Diesel Soot Aggregates”, Journal of Aerosol Science 34, pp.S1061-S1062, 2003.
- Kostoglou, M., Konstandopoulos, A.G., Burtscher, H., “Size distribution dynamics of fuel-borne catalytic ceria nanoparticles” Journal of Aerosol Science 38, 604-611, 2007.