This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Coordinated Strategy of Steering Torque Overlay and Differential Braking for Unintended Lane Departure Avoidance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a lane departure avoidance system to help the driver avoid the lane departure during drowsiness or inattention. The lane departure avoidance system proposed in this paper consists of unintended lane departure decision part, upper level controller part and lower level controller part. The index used in unintended lane departure decision part is proposed to monitor a driver's intention with steering behaviors. The desired dynamics is calculated in upper level controller part. When the desired dynamics is calculated, it is considered to guarantee a driver's safety and smooth ride feel simultaneously as possible. The lower level controller distributes the desired control input to actuators, motor driven power steering (MDPS) module and vehicle stability control (VSC) module. The proposed lane departure avoidance system has been evaluated via human driver model-in the loop simulation.
CitationLee, J. and Yi, K., "Development of a Coordinated Strategy of Steering Torque Overlay and Differential Braking for Unintended Lane Departure Avoidance," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0281, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0281.
- Enache, N. Minoiu, Netto, M., Mammar, S., Lusetti, B., “Driver steering assistance for lane departure avoidance”, Control Engineering Practice, Vol.17, 2009, pp. 642-651
- Hwang, J., Huh, K., Na, H., Jung, H. et al., “Development of a Model Based Predictive Controller for Lane Keeping Assistance,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1454, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1454.
- Enache, N. Minoiu, Netto, M., Mammar, S., and Glaser, S., “A new strategy for lane departure avoidance”, IEEE International Conference on Control Applications, 2006, pp. 440-450
- Pilluti, T., Ulsoy, G., and Hrovat, D., “Vehicle steering intervention through differential braking”, Proc. of the American Control Conference, Seatle, Washington, June, 1995, pp. 1667-1671
- Pohl, J., Birk, W. and Westervall, L., “A driver-distraction based lane keeping assistance system”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part I:J.Systems and Control Engineering, Vol.221, 2007, pp. 541-552
- McCall, J., Wipf, D., Trivedi, M. M., and Rao, B.: “Lane change intent analysis using robust operators and sparse Bayesian learning”, in Proc. IEEE Int. Workshop MachineVision Intelligent Vehicles/IEEE Int. Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, San Diego, CA, 2005, pp. 59-66
- Raksincharoensak, P., Mizushima, T. and Nagai, M.: “Direct yaw moment control system based on driver behavior recognition”, Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol. 46, 2008, pp. 911-921
- McCall, J., Wipf, D., Trivedi, M. M., and Rao, B. : “Lane change intent analysis using robust operators and sparse Bayesian learning”, IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst., Vol.8, No. 3, September, 2007, pp. 431-440
- Pilutti, T. and Ulsoy, G.: “Identification of Driver State for Lane-Keeping Tasks”, IEEE Trans. Syst, Man, Cybern. A, Syst. Humans, Vol. 29, No. 5, 1999, pp. 486-502
- Kuge, N., Yamamura, T. and Shimoyama, O.: “A Driver Behavior Recognition Method Based on a Driver Model Framework”, Warrendale, PA: Soc. Automot. Eng., 1998
- Rajamani, Rajech, “Vehicle Dynamics and Control”, New York: Springer-Verlag, 2005
- Mammar, S., Glaser, S. and Netto, M., “Time to Line Crossing for Lane Departure Avoidance: A Theoretical Study and an Experimental Setting”, IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst., Vol. 7, June 2006, pp. 226-241
- Raksincharoensak, P., NAGAI, M. and SHINO, M., “Lane keeping control strategy with direct yaw moment control input by considering dynamics of electric vehicle, Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol. 44, 2006, pp. 192-201
- Schofield, B. and Hagglund, T., “Optimal control allocation in vehicle dynamics control for rollover mitigation”, In Proceedings of the American Control Conference. Seattle Washington, USA, June 2008, pp. 3231-3236