This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simultaneous Measurements of Temperatures of Flame and Wall Surface in a Combustion Chamber of Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to investigate the combustion phenomena in a combustion chamber of the diesel engine at transient operations, the simultaneous measurements of temperatures of flame and wall surface in a combustion chamber were conducted. The new technique for simultaneous measurements of flame temperature and wall surface was developed. Laser-Induced phosphorescence was used for the measurement of wall surface temperature which was coupled with the flame temperature measurement by a two-color pyrometry. The NOx and soot emissions were also measured simultaneously in transient operations. The relation between the temporal changes of emissions and temperatures of flame and surface wall are discussed. The results show that the temporal change of NOx emission during transient operation is similar to that of the average gas temperature in a chamber. On the other hand, the temporal change of soot emission is similar to neither that of flame temperature nor that of average gas temperature.
CitationKosaka, H. and Arai, T., "Simultaneous Measurements of Temperatures of Flame and Wall Surface in a Combustion Chamber of Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2047, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2047.
- Miyamoto, N. Ogawa, H. Shibuya, M. Fuwa, N. Time Series Analysis of Diesel Exhaust Gas Emissions under Transient Operation Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 59 559 1993 905 911
- Reksowardojo, I. K. Kitamura, T. Ogawa, H. Miyamoto, N. Enomoto, Y Exhaust Gas Emissions and Piston Wall Temperature under Transient Operation in a Small Diesel Engine Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 61 590 1995 3581 3587
- Reksowardojo, I. K. Iemura, A. Ogawa, H. Miyamoto, N. Transient Characteristics of Exhaust Gas Emissions under Decelerating Operation in a Small DI Diesel Engine Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 62 601 1996 3517 3523
- Matsui, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsuoka, S. “A Study on the Time and Space Resolved Measurement of Flame Temperature and Soot Concentration in a D. I. Diesel Engine by the Two-Color Method,” SAE Technical Paper 790491 SAE Transactions 88 1979 10.4271/790491
- Fujino, R. Aoyagi, Y. Osada, H. Yamaguchi, T. Direct Observation of Clean Diesel Combustion using Bore Scope in a Single Cylinder HDDE Proc. of 2009 JSAE Annual Congress, No.76-09 2009 13 18
- Allison, S.W. Gillies, G.T. Remote Thermometry with Thermographic Phosphors: Instrumentation and Applications Rev. Sci. Instrum. 68 7 1997 2615 2650
- Allison, S.W. Beshears, D.L. Benic, T. Hollerman, W.A. Boudreaux, P. Development of Temperature-Sensitive Paints for High-Temperature Aeropropulsion Applications AIAA paper, No.2001-3528 2001 1 7
- Tobin, K.W. Allison, S.W. Cates, M.R. Capps, G.J. Beshears, D.L. Cry, M. Noel, B.W. High-Temperature Phosphor Thermometry of Rotating Turbine Brades AIAA Journal 28 8 1990
- Armfield, J.S. Graves, R.L. Beshears, D.L. Cates, M.R. Smith, T.V. Allison, S.W. Phosphor Thermometry for Internal Combustion Engines SAE paper, No. 971642 1997
- Omrane, A. Juhlin, G. Alden, M. Josefsson, G. Engstrom, J. Benham, T. Demonstration of Two-Dimensional Temperature Characterization of Valves and Transparent Piston in a GDI Optical Engine SAE paper, No. 2004-01-0609 2004
- Hersberg, T. Gjirja, S. Dehbratt, I. Omrane, A. Alden, M. Engstrom, J. Piston temperature Measurement by Use of Thermographic Phosphors and Thermocouples in a Heavy -Duty Diesel Engine Run Under Partly Premixed Conditions SAE paper, No. 2005-01-1646 2005
- Aizawa, T. Kosaka, H. “Laser-Induced Phosphorescence Thermography of Combustion Chamber Wall of Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 549 558 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1069