This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Bridging the Gap between HCCI and SI: Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) has received much attention in recent years due to its ability to reduce both fuel consumption and NO
emissions compared to normal spark-ignited (SI) combustion. However, due to the limited operating range of HCCI, production feasible engines will need to employ a combination of combustion strategies, such as stoichiometric SI combustion at high loads and leaner burn spark-assisted compression ignition (SACI) and HCCI at intermediate and low loads. The goal of this study was to extend the high load limit of HCCI into the SACI region while maintaining a stoichiometric equivalence ratio. Experiments were conducted on a single-cylinder research engine with fully flexible valve actuation. In-cylinder pressure rise rates and combustion stability were controlled using cooled external EGR, spark assist, and negative valve overlap. Several engine loads within the SACI regime were investigated. Heat release analysis of these points showed a distinct region of flame propagation followed by rapid auto-ignition of the remaining charge. With proper control of the combustion variables, this region of flame propagation became larger as load was increased, eventually resembling conventional spark-ignited combustion. Using this strategy, a maximum engine load of ~7.5 bar NMEP was achieved while maintaining good efficiency and complying with emissions regulations.
CitationManofsky, L., Vavra, J., Assanis, D., and Babajimopoulos, A., "Bridging the Gap between HCCI and SI: Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1179, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1179.
Kinetically Controlled CI Combustion (including HCCI), 2011
Number: SP-2313 ; Published: 2011-04-12
Number: SP-2313 ; Published: 2011-04-12
- Cairns, A. and Blaxill, H., “The Effects of Combined Internal and External Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Gasoline Controlled Auto-Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0133, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0133.
- Heywood, John B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, p.193. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- Sjoberg, M. and Dec, J., “An Investigation of the Relationship Between Measured Intake Temperature, BDC Temperature, and Combustion Phasing for Premixed and DI HCCI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1900, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1900.
- Zhao, H., Li, J., Ma, T. and Ladommatos, N., “Performance and Analysis of a 4-Stroke Multi-Cylinder Gasoline Engine with CAI Combustion.” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0420, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0420.
- Farrell, J. T., Stevens, J. G. and Weissman, W., “A Second Law Analysis of High Efficiency Low Emission Gasoline Engine Concepts,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0491, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0491.
- Dec, J. and Yang, Y., “Boosted HCCI for High Power without Engine Knock and with Ultra-Low NOx Emissions - using Conventional Gasoline,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):750-767, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1086.
- Hyvonen, J., Haraldsson, G. and Johansson, B., “Supercharging HCCI to Extend the Operating Range in a Multi-Cylinder VCR-HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3214, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-3214.
- Olsson, J., Tunestal, P. and Johansson, B., “Boosting for High Load HCCI,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0940, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0940.
- Haraldsson, G., Tunestal, P. and Johansson, B., “HCCI Combustion Phasing with Closed-Loop Combustion Control Using Variable Compression Ratio in a Multi-Cylinder Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1830, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1830.
- Aroonsrisopon, T., Werner, P., Waldman, J., Sohm, V., Foster, D., Morikawa, T. and Iida, M., “Expanding the HCCI Operation with the Charge Stratification,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1756, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1756.
- Urushihara, T., Yamaguchi, K., Yoshizawa, K. and Itoh, T., “A Study of a Gasoline-Fueled Compression Ignition Engine - Expansion of HCCI Operation Range Using SI Combustion as a Trigger of Compression Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0180, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0180.
- Lavoie, G., Martz, J., Wooldridge, M., and Assanis, D.. “A multi-mode combustion diagram for spark assisted compression ignition.” Combustion and Flame. 157(6): 1106-1110, 2010.
- Wang, Z., Wang, J., Shuai, S., Tian, G., An, X., and Ma, Q.. “Study of the effect of spark ignition on gasoline HCCI combustion.” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Journal of Automobile Engineering. 220(D6): 817-825, 2006.
- Yun, H., Wermuth, N., and Najt, P.. “Extending the High Load Operating Limit of a Naturally-Aspirated Gasoline HCCI Combustion Engine.” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):681-699, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0847.
- Szybist, J., Nafziger, E. and Weall, A., “Load Expansion of Stoichiometric HCCI Using Spark Assist and Hydraulic Valve Actuation.” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(2):244-258, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2172.
- Hyvonen, J., Haraldsson, G. and Johansson, B., “Operating Conditions Using Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion During Combustion Mode Transfer to SI in a Multi-Cylinder VCR-HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0109, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0109.
- Wagner, R., Edwards, K., Daw, C., Green, J. and Bunting, B., “On the Nature of Cyclic Dispersion in Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0418, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0418.
- Stivender, D. “Development of a Fuel-Based Mass Emission Measurement Procedure,” SAE Technical Paper 710604, 1971. doi: 10.4271/710604.
- Patterson, G. and Davis, R., “Geometric and Topological Considerations to Maximize Remotely Mounted Cylinder Pressure Transducer Data Quality,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1)414-420, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0644.
- Chang, J., Guralp, O., Filipi, Z., Assanis, D., Kuo, T., Najt, P. and Rask, R., “New Heat Transfer Correlation for an HCCI Engine Derived from Measurements of Instantaneous Surface Heat Flux,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2996, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2996.
- Fitzgerald, R., Steeper, R., Snyder, J., Hanson, R. and Hessel, R., “Determination of Cycle Temperatures and Residual Gas Fraction for HCCI Negative Valve Overlap Operation,” SAE Int J. Engines 3(1):124-141, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0343.
- Eng, J. A. “Characterization of Pressure Waves in HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2859. 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-2859.
- Persson, H., Hultqvist, A., Johansson, B. and Remon, A., “Investigation of the Early Flame Development in Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion Using High Speed Chemiluminescence Imaging,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0212. 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0212.
- Wang, Z., Wang, J., Shuai, S., He, X., Xu, F., Yang, D. and Ma, X., “Research on Spark-Induced Compression Ignition (SICI),” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0132, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0132.
- Kalian, N., Zhao, H., and Yang, C.. “Effects of spark-assistance on controlled auto-ignition combustion at different injection timings in a multicylinder direct-injection gasoline engine.” International Journal of Engine Research. 10(3): 133-148, 2009.
- Kaiser, E. W., Yang, J., Culp, T., Xu, N., and Maricq, M.. “Homogeneous charge compression ignition engine-out emissions - does flame propagation occur in homogeneous charge compression ignition?” International Journal of Engine Research. 3(4): 185-195, 2002.
- Zigler, B. “An experimental investigation of the ignition properties of low temperature combustion in an optical engine.” Doctoral Thesis, University of Michigan, 2008.