This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Extended Expansion General-Purpose Engine-Efficiency Enhancement by Natural Gas Operation-
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Research on extended expansion engine was carried out in order to enhance thermal efficiency in general purpose engines. A four-jointed linkage was used between the connecting rod and the crank pin of a standard piston-crank system and provides an Atkinson thermo dynamic cycle.
Thermal efficiency of an engine with a compression ratio of 12.4 and an expansion ratio of 18.1 was compared to an engine with a compression ratio of 9.4 and an expansion ratio of 13.6.
Measured indicated thermal efficiency of prototyped engine operated by natural gas was 38.7%, a 2.6% increase, as predicted in the numerical simulation.
CitationKono, S., Koga, H., and Watanabe, S., "Research on Extended Expansion General-Purpose Engine-Efficiency Enhancement by Natural Gas Operation-," SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0007, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-32-0007.
- Watanabe, S. Koga, H. Kono, S. “Research on Extended Expansion General-Purpose Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-010 2006
- Koga, H. Watanabe, S. “Research on Extended Expansion General-Purpose Engine - Heat Release and Friction -,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-32-0003 2007
- Naoe, G. Watanabe, S. “Research on Extended Expansion General-Purpose Engine - Characteristic of Vibration -,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0012 2008 10.4271/2008-32-0012
- Watanabe, S. Naoe, G. Sato, Y. “Research on Extended Expansion General-Purpose Engine - A Numerical Approach to Reduce Vibration -,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1066 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1066
- Naoe, G. Watanabe, S. “Research on Extended Expansion General-Purpose Engine - Noise Characteristics Caused by Multiple Linkage System and Reduction of the Noise -,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 712 720 2009 10.4271/2009-32-0042
- Ministerial Ordinance on Technical Standards for Gas Equipment
- Study and Research on Natural Gas Engines by the Japan Machinery Federation
- manton, J. vonElbe, G. Lewis, B. “Fourth Symposium on Combustion,” 358 Williams & Wilkins Baltimore 1953
- COMBUSTION, FLAMES and EXPLOSIONS of GASES THIRD Lewis, Bernard Von Elbe, Guenther
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals 404 1988
- Estimating Heat Balance of Premixed Compression Ignition Engine during Compression-Expansion Stroke New ACE Tsurushima Tadashi Miyamoto, Takeshi Asaumi, Yasuo Aoyagi, Yuzo