This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Unburned Hydro Carbon (HC) Estimation Using a Self-Tuned Heat Release Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An estimation model which uses the gross heat release data and the fuel energy to estimate the total amount of emissions and unburned Hydro Carbon (HC) is developed. Gross heat release data is calculated from a self-tuned heat release method which uses in-cylinder pressure data for computing the energy released during combustion. The method takes all heat and mass losses into account. The method estimates the polytropic exponent and pressure offset during compression and expansion using a nonlinear least square method. Linear interpolation of polytropic exponent and pressure offset is then performed during combustion to calculate the gross heat release during combustion. Moreover the relations between the emissions specifically HC and Carbon Monoxide (CO) are investigated. The model was validated with experimental data and promising results were achieved.
CitationKaiadi, M., Tunestal, P., and Johansson, B., "Unburned Hydro Carbon (HC) Estimation Using a Self-Tuned Heat Release Method," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2128, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2128.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Amann, C.A. “Control of the Homogeneous-Charge Passenger-Car Engine - Defining the Problem,” SAE Technical Paper 801440 1980 10.4271/801440
- Johansson, B. “Förbränningsmotorer” division of combustion engine, LTH Sweden 2006
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” international edition McGraw Hill 1988 837
- Shaw, B.T. Hedrick, K. “Cold Start Engine Combustion Modeling to Control Hydrocarbon Emissions” 2002
- Woschni, G. “A Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 670931 1967 10.4271/670931
- Ueno, M. Akazaki, S. Yasui, Y. Iwaki, Y. “A Quick Warm-Up System During Engine Start-Up Period Using Adaptive Control of Intake Air and Ignition Timing,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0551 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0551
- Tunestal, P. “Self tuning gross heat release computation for internal combustion engines” Control Engineering Practice 17 518 524 2009
- Tunestal, P. Hedrick, K. “Cylinder air/fuel ratio estimation using net heat release data” 2001
- Aronsson, U. “Optical Investigations of Combustion in Diesel Engines” Licentiate Thesis 2009
- Tunestal, P. “Model Based TDC Offset Estimation from Motored Cylinder Pressure Data” Patent Identifier 10.3182/20091130-3-FR-4008.0002 2009