This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modular and Configurable Steel Structure for Assembly Fixtures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper will present the latest development of a configurable and modular steel construction system for use in frameworks of flexible fixtures of the kind called Affordable Reconfigurable Fixtures (ART). Instead of a dedicated aircraft fixture, which is very time consuming and expensive, the ART fixtures enable affordable construction from a standard component kit, by solving the main drawbacks of traditional tooling.
In early 2009 Airbus UK built the first steel modular fixture for the aerospace industry. The project was a partnership with DELFOi and Linköping University in a project called ReFlex, Reconfigurable Flexible Tooling. A paper was presented in the last year SAE conference which explained about the project in overall. The construction system called BoxJoint has recently been tested in some manufacturing areas at Airbus UK and also been applied in the production at Saab Aerospace Linköping Sweden. A case study was conducted of an A380 subassembly fixture demonstrating the comparable advantages of the new technology from the design phase until the first aircraft build.
One of the benefits reported is that a modular fixture relatively quickly can be assembled and set within specified tolerances by means of a metrology system, guiding configurable pickups and flags called Flexapods. Calculation of strength and stiffness can be made by simple standard methods.
CitationHelgosson, P., Ossbahr, G., and Tomlinson, D., "Modular and Configurable Steel Structure for Assembly Fixtures," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1873, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1873.
- Kihlman, H. and Engström, M., “Affordable Reconfigurable Tooling,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2645, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-2645.
- Kihlman, H., Ossbahr, G., Engström, M., and Anderson, J., “Low-Cost Automation for Aircraft Assembly,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2830. 2004. doi:10.4271/2004-01-2830.
- Millar, A. and Kihlman, H., “Reconfigurable Flexible Tooling for Aerospace Wing Assembly,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3243. 2009. doi:10.4271/2009-01-3243.
- Jonsson, M., and Ossbahr, G., 2009, “Reconfigurable Tooling using Mini Flexapods”, Proceedings of the International 3'rd Swedish Production Symposium, 2nd-3rd of December, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Jonsson, M, Kihlman, H, and Ossbahr, G, 2008, “Coordinate Controlled Fixturing for Affordable Reconfigurable Tooling”, Proceedings of the 2nd Conference on Assembly Technologies and Systems Toronto, Canada. Sept 21-23 2008.
- Jonsson, M. & Kihlman, H. (2008). Fixture Design using Configurators. Swedish Production Symposium. Stockholm Sweden. Nov 18-20 2008.
- Helgosson, P, 2009, “HiVol WP3.1 Flexible Tooling Optimised Tooling Solutions Report”, Airbus Ltd Operations
- Toutt, Mike, metrology expert Airbus Ltd Operations (2009)
- Scott, Iain, Reflex box joint jig configured for wing box section, Airbus Ltd Operations (2010)
- MUELANER, J, phd metrology, Bath university