This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on Improvement of Diesel Combustion and Emissions Using Flash Boiling Injection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel-fuelled homogenous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines are a new area of focused research as improvements are sought in internal combustion engine technology to reduce energy consumption and air pollution. This paper proposes a new method of utilizing the flash boiling injection effect of high-temperature diesel fuel to improve the fuel-spray evaporation and mixing in HCCI diesel engines. A visual test bench of quasi-stable state fuel injection spray was established, and the influence of high temperature flash boiling injection of diesel fuel on Sauter Mean Diameter (SMD) was tested by laser droplet size analysis. The SMD distributions of diesel engine fuel was measured under different injection pressure and fuel temperatures, and the flash-boiling spray effects on decreasing the fuel droplet diameter, and improving the spray mixture were verified.
A Model ZS195, single-cylinder, direct-injection diesel engine was used to test the HCCI combustion efficiency. A section of high-pressure fuel supply pipe with heating and temperature controls was installed following the retrofitted HCCI fuel injection pump. The combustion and exhaust emissions of the HCCI diesel engine were tested for different fuel temperatures, and the effect of high-temperature flash boiling was clearly demonstrated by the test results. In addition, the diesel fuel temperature range to optimize fuel economy and exhaust pollution was identified. Tests were carried out to compare different fuel supply advance angles and injection pressures to ascertain the influence of engine structure and operating parameters on the combustion and emission characteristics. As revealed in the test results, the HCCI combustion diesel engine performance, including fuel consumption and exhaust emissions, were improved by high-temperature flash boiling fuel spray, by increasing the fuel supply advance angle to 32 deg crank angle (CA) before top dead center (BTDC), and increasing the fuel temperature to 160 - 200 deg C.
CitationShe, J., "Experimental Study on Improvement of Diesel Combustion and Emissions Using Flash Boiling Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0341, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0341.
Kinetically Controlled CI Combustion and Controls, 2010
Number: SP-2280; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2280; Published: 2010-04-13
- Anitescu George Preparation, injection, and combustion of supercritical fuels 15th DEER Conference Aug. 3-6 2009 Dearborn, Michigan
- Lea-Langton, A. Li, H. Andrews, G. E. “The Influence of Fuel Pre-heating on Combustion and Emissions with 100% Rapeseed Oil for a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0486 2009
- Kumar, M. Senthil Kerihuel, A. Bellettre, J. Tazerout, M. Experimental investigations on the use of preheated animal fat as fuel in a compression ignition engine Renewable Energy July 2005 30 9 1443 1456
- Karabektas, Murat Ergen, Gokhan Hosoz, Murat The effects of preheated cottonseed oil methyl ester on the performance and exhaust emissions of a diesel engine Applied Thermal Engineering December 2008 28 17-18 2136 2143
- Sher, Eran Bar-Kohany, Tali Rashkovan, Alexander Flash-boiling atomization Progress in Energy and Combustion Science August 2008 34 4 417 439
- Kawano, D. Ishii, H. Suzuki, H. et al. Numerical study on flash-boiling spray of multicomponent fuel Heat Transfer-Asian Research 2006 35 5 369 385
- Ra Youngchul Reitz Rolf D. A vaporization model for discrete multi-component fuel sprays International Journal of Multiphase Flow 35 2009 101 117
- Chang Dar-Lon Lee Chia-Fon F. Development of a simplified bubble growth model for flash boiling sprays in direct injection spark ignition engines Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 30 2005 2737 2744
- Zhang Yusheng Zhang Peirong et al. The Influence of Fuel Heating on Performance and Exhaust Emissions in DI and IDI Diesel Engines Small Internal Combustion Engine 1993 6 25 29
- Shulin Duan Lin Feng Feng Xu et al. Investigation of Flash-Boiling Fuel Injection Journal of Dalian Railway Institute 18 1 Mar. 1997 57 60
- Shulin Duan Lin Feng Yongchen Song et al. The Investigation on Droplet Distribution and Combustion Characteristics of Flash Boiling Spray in Diesel Engines Transactions of CSICE 17 1999 1 54 58
- Shulin Duan Yongchen Shong Lin Feng et al. Study on the Droplet Distribution of Flash boiling Spray Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering 19 1998 2 27 31
- Xinqi Qiao Jianjiang Liu Zhen Huang et al. Study on the Velocity Field of Flash Boiling Spray by LDA Journal of Combustion Science and Technology 7 2001 4 303 308