This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Structural Optimization of a Bus in Rollover Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The concern about vehicle passengers' safety increases along the years, this can be concluded analyzing the constant evolution of requirements through standards, defining minimum structural rigidity of vehicles under different extreme loads. Otherwise, highly competitive automotive market demands lighter, economic and cheaper projects. The ambient concern is also in evidence. This diversity of objectives, many times contradictory, that an engineer must handle during a vehicle development, became an arduous task to relate all these concepts in a harmonious way. In this context, is presented in this paper a proposal of methodology for a structural optimization, applying Genetic Algorithm, of a bus rollover. The simplified finite elements model of the bus is constructed with beam elements and, in places with localized large plastic deformation, plastic hinges are added to the structure. Experimental and numerical methods are used to determine the plastic hinge properties. With this numerical model of the bus rollover, parameters are extracted to compose the different proposals of objective functions and, thus, diverse optimized projects are analyzed, aiming to find the optimum project for each study. Finally, is concluded that the optimization methodology proposal represents a useful tool and can be applied during projects' development, shortening the process and helping on important decisions.
CitationTech, T. and Iturrioz, I., "Structural Optimization of a Bus in Rollover Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0131, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-36-0131.
- ECE R66 2001 “Directive 2001/85/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council” Jornal Oficial das Comunidades Européias 72 82
- Ambrósio, J. A. C. Pereira, M. F. O. Silva, F. P. 1996 “Crashworthiness of Transportation Systems: Structural Impact and Occupant Protection” Kluwer Academic Publishers Dordrecht/Boston/London
- Ambrósio, J. A. C. 2001 “Crashworthiness. Energy Management and Occupant Protection” Springer Wien New York 205 302
- EURO5 2005 “Directive 2005/55/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council” Jornal Oficial das Comunidades Européias
- Hamza, K. Saitou, K. 2003 “Design Optimization of Vehicle Structures for Crashworthiness using Equivalent Mechanism Approximations” Proceedings of the ASME 2003 Design Engineering and Technical Conference Chicago, IL
- Hamza, K. Saitou, K. 2004 “Design Optimization of Vehicle Structures for Crashworthiness Via Equivalent Mechanism Approximations” Proceedings of the SAE World Congress Detroit, MI
- Hamza, K. Saitou, K. 2004 “Crash Mode Analysis of Vehicle Structures Based on Equivalent Mechanism Approximations” Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Tools and Methods of Competitive Engineering Lausanne, Switzerland 277 287
- Hamza, K. Saitou, K. 2004 “Crashworthiness Design Using Meta-models for Approximating of Box-section Members” Proceedings of the 8th Cairo University International Conference on Mechanical Design and Production Cairo, Egypt Vol. 1 591 602
- Abramowicz, W. 2003 “Thin-walled Structures as Impact Energy Absorbers” Thin-Walled Structures 41 91 107
- Abramowicz, W. 2004 “An alternative Formulation of the FE Method for Arbitrary Discrete/Continuous Models” International Journal of Impact Engineering 30 1081 1098
- Kim, H. Wierzbicki, T. 2001 “Crush Behavior of Thin-walled Prismatic Columns Under Combined Bending and Compression” Computer and Structures 79 1417 1432
- Tech, T. W. Iturrioz, I. Meira Júnior, A. D. 2007 “Numerical Simulation of Bus Rollover” Congresso SAE Brasil 2007 – Society of Automotive Engineers São Paulo, Brasil
- SOLIDWORKS 2006 “SolidWorks Online User's Guide”
- LS-DYNA 2007 “User Manual – Non linear Dynamic Analysis of Structures” Livermore Software Technology Corporation
- Belegundu, A. D. Chandrupatla, T. R. 1999 “Optimization Concepts and Applications in Engineering” Prentice Hall, Inc. New Jersey