This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Differential Speed Based Bend Lighting in Adaptive Front lighting system
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 13, 2009 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Bend lighting is achieved in two ways: static bend lighting and dynamic bend lighting. In both these cases the turning angle of the vehicle is required. Mostly this angle is calculated from the steering angle or in some systems through GPS. The first method has many drawbacks like it is dependent on the type of steering (mechanical, hydraulic or electrical) so it can not be a universal system. In the other method GPS based bend lighting is a very expensive solution and also GPS cannot be accessed from everywhere at all instances.
In this publication the difference in speed of front wheels of a vehicle while turning is used. By using the speed of the front two wheels the actual turning angle of the vehicle can be calculated.
This method is better suitable as it is not dependent on the type of steering: mechanical, electrical, hydraulic or even a joystick. It also is independent of the ratios between the steering wheel, steering shaft and the attached gear.
This system can also be clubbed with the speed based beam adaptation for AFS and ABS (Automatic Braking System) hence increasing the efficiency and decreasing the overall cost of the vehicle.
- Madhusudan Joshi - International Centre for Automotive Technology (iCAT)
- Hemant Singh - International Centre for Automotive Technology (iCAT)
- S.K. Kalia - International Centre for Automotive Technology (iCAT)
- Saurabh Dalela - International Centre for Automotive Technology (iCAT)
- Dinesh Tyagi - International Centre for Automotive Technology (iCAT)
CitationJoshi, M., Singh, H., Kalia, S., Dalela, S. et al., "Differential Speed Based Bend Lighting in Adaptive Front lighting system," SAE Technical Paper 2009-28-0022, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-28-0022.
- Neumann, R. “AFS Halogen Headlamp System-Experimental Study and First Field Results” SAE Paper no. 2004-01-0439
- Hamm, M. Rosenhahn, E. O. “Facts and Feelings Regarding Motorway Light in Adaptive Headlamp Systems” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0552
- Leleve, J. Wiegand, B. “Multifunction Projector” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0553
- Boebel, D. Rosenhahn, E.O. Igoe, D. “Cornering Lamps and Static Bend Lighting - Performance Aspects and Technical comparison in AFS- Systems' SAE Paper no. 2003-01-0554
- Rosenhahn, E.O. “Fog Headlamp- Visibility Investigations and Performance Requirement for Redefinition in Adaptive Headlamp Systems” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0555
- Joshi, M. Haragapurkar, S.M. “Optoelectronic Correlation for Authentication of Holographic Stickers Pasted on High Security Registration Plate (HSRP): A Survey” SAE Paper No. 2005-26-073
- Joshi, M. Shamsundara B.V. Haragapurkar, S.M. “Experiments on Driver's Visibility and Polarized Headlighting System” SAE Paper No. 2005-26-076