This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Energy Efficiency Analysis of Monolith and Pellet Emission Control Systems in Unidirectional and Reverse-Flow Designs
ISSN: 1946-3936, e-ISSN: 1946-3944
Published September 13, 2009 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Citation: ALGIERI, A., AMELIO, M., BOVA, S., and MORRONE, P., "Energy Efficiency Analysis of Monolith and Pellet Emission Control Systems in Unidirectional and Reverse-Flow Designs," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(2):684-693, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0155.
- Heywood JB. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. Mc Graw Hill: New York, 1988.
- Morea H, Hayesa R E, Liua B, Votsmeierb M, Checkel M D. The effect of catalytic washcoat geometry on light-off in monolith20 01 reactors, Topics in Catalysis 2006; 37 (2–4): 155–159.
- Triana A, Johnson J H, Yang S L, Baumgard K J. An Experimental and Computational Study on the Pressure Drop and Regeneration Characteristics of a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst and a Particulate Filter. SAE Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 2006; 115: 115–135; SAE paper 2006-01-0266.
- Johnson T V. Diesel Emission Control in Review. SAE Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 2006; 115: 1–15; SAE paper 2006-01-0030.
- Wang T J, Baek S W, Lee J H. Kinetic Parameter Estimation of a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst under Actual Vehicle Operating Conditions. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2008; 47: 2528–2537.
- Knafl A, Busch S B, Han M, Bohac S V, Assanis D N, Szymkowicz P G, Blint R D. Characterizing Light-Off Behavior and Species-Resolved Conversion Efficiencies During In-Situ Diesel Oxidation Catalyst Degreening. SAE Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 2006; 115: 53–62, SAE paper 2006-01-0209.
- Kowatari T, Hamada Y, Amou K, Hamada I, Funabashi H, Takakura T, Nakagome K. A Study of a New Aftertreatment System (1): A New Dosing Device for Enhancing Low Temperature Performance of Urea-SCR. SAE Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 2006; 115: 244–251; SAE paper 2006-01-0643.
- Burch R, Breen J P, Meunier F C. A review of the selective reduction of NOx with hydrocarbons under lean-burn conditions with non-zeolitic oxide and platinum group metal catalyst. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 2002; 39: 283–303.
- Kim D S, Park Y J, Lee S W, Cho Y S. A study on characteristics and control strategies of cold start operation for improvement of harmful exhaust emissions in SI engines. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 2008; 22: 141–147.
- Güthenkea A, Chatterjeea D, Weibela M, Waldbüßera N, Ko&číb P, Marekb M, Kubíčekc M. Development and application of a model for a NOx storage and reduction catalyst: Chemical Engineering Science 2007; 62: 5357–5363.
- Zheng M, Reader G T. Energy efficiency analyses of active flow aftertreatment systems for lean burn internal combustion engines. Energy Conversion and Management 2004; 45: 2473–2493.
- Liu B, Hayes R E, Checkel M D, Zheng M, Mirosh E. Reversing flow catalytic converter for a natural gas/diesel dual fuel engine. Chemical Engineering Science 2001; 56: 2641–2658.
- Algieri A, Amelio M, Morrone P, A numerical analysis of energetic performances of active and passive aftertreatment systems, International Journal of Energy Research, DOI: 10.1002/er.1505, in press.
- Algieri A, Amelio M, Bova S, Morrone P, Active and Passive Aftertreatment Systems: A Numerical Analysis of Energetic Performances, Proceedings of ICAT '08 Conference, Istanbul (Turkey), 2008.
- Singh P, Thalagavara A M, Naber J D, Raux S, Dorge S, Gilot P, Climaud P, Sassi A, Johnson J, Bagley S. An Experimental Study of Active Regeneration of an Advanced Catalyzed Particulate Filter by Diesel Fuel Injection Upstream of an Oxidation Catalyst. SAE Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 2006; 115: 334–357; SAE paper 2006-01-0879.
- Amelio M, Morrone P. Numerical evaluation of the Energetic Performances of Structured and Random Packed Beds in regenerative thermal oxidizers. Applied Thermal Engineering 2007; 27: 762–770.
- Amelio M, Florio G, Morrone P, Senatore S. The influence of rotary valve distribution systems on the energetic efficiency of regenerative thermal oxidizers (RTO). International Journal of Energy Research 2008; 32: 24–34.
- Perry R H, Green D W. Perry's chemical engineers' handbook, 7th edition. Mc Graw Hill: New York, 1999.
- Guglielmini G, Pisoni C. Elementi di trasmissione del calore. Veschi Edizioni: Milano, 1990.
- Incropera F, De Witt D. Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer. Wiley & Sons: USA, 2002.
- Rafidi N, Blasiak W. Thermal performance analysis on a two composite material honeycomb heat regenerators used for HiTAC burners. Applied Thermal Engineering 2005; 25: 2966–2982.
- Gupta, A. S., Thodos, G., “Direct analogy between mass and heat transfer to beds of spheres”, A.I.Ch.E.JI., vol. 9, pag. 751, 1973.
- Lof, G. O. G., Hawley, R. W., “Unsteady State Heat Transfer Between Air and Loose Solids”, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, vol. 40, pag. 1061, 1947.
- Kunii, D., Levenspiel, O., “Fluidization Engineering Second Edition”, Published by Butterworth-Heinemann, 1991.
- Achenbach, E., “Heat and Flow Characteristics of Packed Beds”, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 10, pag. 17–27, 1995.
- Duffie J A, Beckman, W. A, “Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes” Published by Wiley-Interscience publication, Winsconsin, USA., 1991.
|Technical Paper||Venturi Vacuum Transducer Enables Heavy EGR Control|
|Journal Article||Biodiesel Effects on U.S. Light-Duty Tier 2 Engine and Emission Control Systems - Part 2|
|Technical Paper||Model Based Calibration Methodology|