This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On-Road Test and Evaluation of Emissions and Fuel Economy of the Hybrid Electric Bus
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A test evaluation method for the emissions and fuel economy of heavy duty hybrid electric vehicles (HD-HEVs) was developed, which was implemented on a standard track with an integrated onboard measurement system (IOMS). One home-made hybrid electric bus (HEB) and a conventional diesel bus were tested with the presented procedure. The track test adopted a city-bus cycle which was developed and formed through bus driving modes collection in several typical megacities of China. The feasibility and effectiveness of the presented method and procedure were validated in the track tests: the test cycle can be well followed with a high unity more than 0.97 and a R2 more than 0.99 by a driver after only a few hours training, and the on-board measurement system performed with a good reliability. Results of the track tests shows that the tested HEB possesses 39% higher fuel economy than (or achieves 28% fuel saving compared with) its conventional counterpart, and the HEB’s emissions of HC, CO, NOx, CO2 and PM are respectively 26.8%, 28.9%, 15.8%, 27% and 37.3% less than those of the reference diesel bus.
CitationQin, K., Li, M., Gao, J., Gao, J. et al., "On-Road Test and Evaluation of Emissions and Fuel Economy of the Hybrid Electric Bus," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1866, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1866.
- SAE J2711 Recommended Practice for Measuring Fuel Economy and Emissions of Hybrid-Electric and Conventional Heavy-Duty Vehicles 2002
- Willner Kristina Erlandsson Lennart A Report for the Swedish Road Administration: Methods to Determine Fuel Consumption form Heavy Duty Vehicles[R] August 2002
- Morita Kenji Shimamura Kazuki Yamaguchi Seiichi Furumachi Keiji Osaki Nobuya Nakamura Shuichi Narusawa Kazuyuki Myong Kwang-Jae Kawai Terunao Development of a Fuel Economy and Exhaust Emissions Test Method with HILS for Heavy-Duty HEVs SAE 2008-01-1318
- Vairamohan B. State of charge estimation for batteries University of Tennessee 2002
- LI Mengliang WANG Linghui QIN Kongjian DU Qian XU Da Heavy-duty hybrid vehicle emission contrast research under different modes[C] IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC) September 3–5 2008 Harbin, China
- McKain, David L. Clark Nigel N. Balon, Thomas H. et al Characterization of Emissions from Hybrid-Electric and Conventional Transit Buses SAE 2000-01-2011