This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Use of Accelerometers for Spark Advance Control of SI Engines
- S. S. Merola - Istituto Motori – CNR ,
- P. Sementa - Istituto Motori – CNR ,
- B. M. Vaglieco - Istituto Motori – CNR ,
- F. Taglialatela - APG – Powertrain & Safety Division - Advanced System Applications STMicroelectronics, Arzano (NA) (Italy) ,
- N. Cesario - APG – Powertrain & Safety Division - Advanced System Applications STMicroelectronics, Arzano (NA) (Italy)
ISSN: 1946-3936, e-ISSN: 1946-3944
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Taglialatela, F., Cesario, N., Porto, M., Merola, S. et al., "Use of Accelerometers for Spark Advance Control of SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):971-981, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1019.
Electronic engine controls based on non-intrusive diagnostics can significantly help in complying with the stricter and stricter regulations on pollutants emissions and fuel consumption. The aim of this paper is the use of a low-cost linear capacitive accelerometer placed on the engine block for non-intrusive diagnosis of combustion process in spark ignition engines. In particular, good correspondences between the engine block vibrations and the combustion pressure signal were obtained. The angular position of pressure peak evaluated by accelerometer data can be used in a closed-loop control system for real time control of spark advance.
|Technical Paper||A Combustion Pressure Sensor Utilizing Silicon Piezoresistive Effect|
|Technical Paper||MBT Control through Individual Cylinder Pressure Detection|
|Technical Paper||Quantitative Feedback Control of Air Path in Diesel-Dual-Fuel Engine|