This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Material Property and Formability Characterization of Various Types of High Strength Dual Phase Steel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As a result of the increasing usage of high strength steels in automotive body structures, a number of formability issues, particularly bend and edge stretch failures, have come to the forefront of attention of both automotive OEMs and steel makers. This investigation reviews these stamping problems and attempts to identify how certain material properties and microstructural features relate to forming behavior. Various types of dual phase steels were evaluated in terms of tensile, bending, hole expansion, limiting dome height, and impact properties. In addition, the key microstructural differences of each grade were characterized. In order to understand the material behavior under practical conditions, stamping trials were conducted using actual part shapes. It was concluded that material properties can be optimized to maximize local formability in stamping applications. The results also emphasize that the dual phase classification can encompass a broad range of property variations.
CitationDykeman, J., Hoydick, D., Link, T., and Mitsuji, H., "Material Property and Formability Characterization of Various Types of High Strength Dual Phase Steel," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0794, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0794.
- Hosegawa K. Kawanura K. Urabe T. Hosoya Y. “Effects of Microstructure on Stretch-flange-formability of 980 MPa Cold-rolled Ultra High Strength Steel Sheets” ISIJ International 44 2004 3 603 609
- Takahashi M. Hayashida T. Tanaguchi H. “High Strength Hot Rolled Steel Sheets for Automobiles” Nippon Steel Technical Report 88 July 2003 8 12
- Spenger F. Hebesberger T. Pichler A. Krempaskzy C. International Conference on New Developments in Advanced High Strength Sheet Steels 39 49
- Walp M. “Impact Dependant Properties of Advanced and Ultra High Strength Steels” SAE Technical Publication # 2007-01-0343 SAE Warrendale, PA 2007
- Hughes A. Fekete J. Walp M. “The Susceptibility to Shear Fracture of Advance High Strength Steels” Material Science and Technology 2007 145 157
- Link T. M. Jensen C. M. “Three-Point Bending Crash Performance of Advanced High Strength Steels,” SAE Technical Paper No. 2009-01-0797