This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Genetic Algorithms Applied to Determine Optimal Trajectories of High Speed Ground Vehicles in Predefined Tracks.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This research work details an optimization method to identify the path of a pre-defined track through which a car with specific acceleration limits completes the circuit in its lowest time. The strategy adopted here uses the evolutionary approach of a Genetic Algorithm's based optimization method to determine the accelerations suffered by the vehicle through the circuit, from pre-defined profiles. Considering an Oriented Particle vehicle model, those acceleration profiles can be integrated to find a specific trajectory path.
The results are quite relevant compared with other methods used, such as the Optimal Control and the conventional Least Squares optimization. Receiving as the initial estimation the lane centerline of the track, the first Genetic Algorithm tests managed to reduce the lap time in about 10%.
CitationRibeiro, S., Pacheco, M., and Neto, M., "Genetic Algorithms Applied to Determine Optimal Trajectories of High Speed Ground Vehicles in Predefined Tracks.," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0131, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0131.
- Neto M. Speranza Carrera D. H. Z. “Trajectory of High Speed Ground Vehicles in Predefined Tracks Using Optimization Techniques” 19th International Congress of Mechanical Engineering 2007
- Ribeiro S. S. “Determination and Control of the Optimal Trajectory of Ground Vehicles” Electrical Engineering Department 2008
- The MathWorks Inc Optimization Toolbox for Use with MATLAB (User's Guide) Natick, MA 1990 5 53
- Pacheco M. A.C. Algoritmos Genéticos (Notas de Aula) Rio de Janeiro 2007
- Casanova D. Sharp R. S. Symonds P. “Construction Of Race Circuit Geometry From On-Car Measurements” IEEE Trans. Neural Networks 4 570 578 July 1993
- MacAdam C. C. “Application of an Optimal Preview Control for Simulation of Closed Loop Automobile Driving” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics SMC-11 6 1981
- Hendrikx J. P. M. Meijlink T. J. J. Kriens R. F. C. “Application of Optimal Control Theory to Inverse Simulation of Car Handling” Vehicle System Dynamics 449 461 26 1996
- Bernard J. Pickelmann M. “An Inverse Linear Model of a Vehicle” Vehicle System Dynamics 179 186 15 1986
- Velenis E. Tsiotras P. “Minimum Time vs Maximum Exit Velocity Path Optimization During Cornering” Scholl of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, GA, USA
- Velenis E. Tsiotras P. “Optimal Velocity Profile Generation for Given Acceleration Limits; The Half-Car Model Case” Scholl of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, GA, USA
- Pohlheim H. Hunt K. J. “Control of Lateral Vehicle Dynamics and Dynamic Optimization using the Genetic Algorithm Toolbox”