This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Driver Assist System: Its Challenges and Solutions from the Customer's Point of View
Published October 20, 2008 by Convergence Transportation Electronics Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Convergence 2008
As demand for an accident free society intensifies, people have come to look to new technologies for solutions. This has facilitated development of a variety of advanced driver assist systems (ADAS).
However, despite existing technologies, due to lack of standardizations and inability to asses the value of a system which cannot be understood without test driving, customers are left unable to make appropriate decisions when determining what kind of features to purchase. Furthermore, not all vehicles offer the same options.
If we are to tackle the challenges from the customer's point of view, we must establish a standardized performance criterion that will help customers and furthermore challenge the auto industry to healthy competition by establishing clear playing fields. This paper will discuss possible solutions and suggestions for the industry to create an accident free society.
CitationNakajima, T., "Advanced Driver Assist System: Its Challenges and Solutions from the Customer's Point of View," SAE Technical Paper 2008-21-0031, 2008.
- Accident statistics 2006 FARS and NHTSA Traffic Safety Fact Sheet (DOT HS 810 809)
- Accident statistics JNPA and Japanese Prime Minister's new year talk in 2003
- LKAS tech paper Ishida et.al SAE Paper 2003-01-0279
- 2007 U.S. Automotive Emerging Technology Study Power J.D.
- 2007 Japanese Automotive Emerging Technology Study J.D.Power Asia Pacific
- Development of night-vision system Tsuji T. Hattori, H. Watanabe, M. Nagaoka, N. 2002 ITS IEEE Transactions
- Daimler Night View Assist Owner's Manual (Near Infra-Red Camera) and BMW Night Vision System Owner's manual (Far Infra-Red Camera)
- Honda Smart Parking Assist system (Honda “Life” Mini Car In Japan) Owner's manual 2006