This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Validation Study for a Sedan Scale Model in an Open Jet Wind Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aerodynamic simulations using CFD is now a standard tool in the automotive industry, and is becoming more and more integrated in the aerodynamic design process of new vehicles. This process is distinguished by parallel development with wind tunnel experiments and CFD simulation results, which demands comparable results to be generated by the two development tools.
As wind tunnel effects are not simulated in most industrial applications of CFD, the comparison with experimental results normally show differences partly due to wind tunnel effects and ground simulation effects. Therefore a deeper understanding of wind tunnel effects and methods to fully reproduce experimental values with CFD is necessary.
In this paper, an extensive validation study with a detailed scale notchback model inside an open jet wind tunnel is presented. This study includes experimental data from the real wind tunnel as well as CFD simulation results with and without wind tunnel effects.
A detailed investigation of flow field data, surface pressures and integral values of two different wind tunnel configurations is shown. These wind tunnel configurations feature different pressure distributions resulting in different forces and surface pressures. Furthermore, a comparison with blockage free simulation results demonstrate the influence of the open jet wind tunnel on the flow.
|Technical Paper||CFD Investigations of Wind Tunnel Interference Effects|
|Journal Article||The Honda R&D Americas Scale Model Wind Tunnel|
|Technical Paper||Accurate Reproduction of Wind-Tunnel Results with CFD|
CitationFischer, O., Kuthada, T., Wiedemann, J., Dethioux, P. et al., "CFD Validation Study for a Sedan Scale Model in an Open Jet Wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0325, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0325.
- Fischer O. Kuthada T. Widdecke N. Wiedemann J. CFD Investigations of Wind Tunnel Interference Effects SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1045 Detroit 2007
- Mercker E. Wiedemann J. On the Correction of Interference Effects in Open Jet Wind Tunnels SAE Technical Paper 960671 Detroit 1996
- Mercker E. Wickern G. Wiedemann J. Contemplation of Nozzle Blockage in Open Jet Wind-Tunnels in View of Different ‘Q’ Determination Techniques SAE Technical Paper 970136 Detroit 1997
- Wickern G. On the Application of Classical Wind Tunnel Corrections for Automotive Bodies SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0633 Detroit 2001
- Wickern G. Gradient Effects on Drag due to Boundary-Layer Suction in Automotive Wind Tunnels SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0655 Detroit 2003
- Wiedemann J. Fischer O. Pang J. Further Investigations on Gradient Effects SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0670 Detroit 2004
- Wickern G. Schwartekopp B. Correction of Nozzle Gradient Effects in Open Jet Wind Tunnels SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0669 Detroit 2004
- Mercker E. Cooper K.R. Fischer O. Wiedemann J. The influence of a Horizontal Pressure Distribution on Aerodynamic Drag in Open and Closed Wind Tunnels SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0867 Detroit 2005
- Mercker E. Cooper K.R. A Two-Measurement Correction for the Effects of a Pressure Gradient on Automotive, Open-Jet, Wind Tunnel Measurements SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0568 Detroit 2006
- Wetzel W. Übertragbarkeit aerodynamischer Beiwerte von Windkanalversuchen im Modellmaβstab auf reale Fahrzeuggeometrien (Validity of aerodynamic coefficients determined from wind tunnel tests in model scale for real full scale vehicle geometries) PhD Thesis University of Karlsruhe 2001
- Perzon S. On Blockage Effects in Wind Tunnels – A CFD Study SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0705 Detroit 2001
- Yang Z. Schenkel M. Fadler G.J. Corrections of the Pressure Gradient Effects on Vehicle Aerodynamic Drag SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0935 Detroit 2003
- Yang Z. Schenkel M. Assessment of Closed-Wall Wind Tunnel Blockage Using CFD SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0672 Detroit 2004
- Yang Z. Nastov A. Schenkel M. Further Assessment of Closed-Wall Wind Tunnel Blockage Using CFD SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0868 Detroit 2005
- Ewald B. Wind Tunnel Wall Corrections, AGARDograph 336 1998
- Bhatnagar P. Gross E. Krook M. A model for collision processes in gases. I. small amplitude processes in charged and neutral one-component system Phys. Rev. 94 51 525 1954
- Chen H. Kandasamy S. Orszag S. Shock R. Succi S. Yakhot V. Extended Boltzmann Kinetic Equation for Turbulent Flows Science 301 633 636 2003
- Chen H. Orszag S. Staroselsky I. Succi S. Expanded Analogy between Boltzmann Kinetic Theory of Fluid and Turbulence J. Fluid Mech. 519 301 314 2004
- Chen H. Teixeira C. Molvig K. Digital Physics Approach to Computational Fluid Dynamics, Some Basic Theoretical Features Intl. J. Mod. Phys. C 8 4 675 684 1997
- Chen H. Extensions in Turbulent Wall Modeling Exa internal publication 1998
- Chen S. Doolen G. Lattice Boltzmann Method for Fluid Flows 1998
- Chen S. Chen H. Martinez D. Matthaeus W. Lattice Boltzmann model for simulation of magnetohydrodynamics Phys. Rev. Lett. 67 27 3776 3779 1991
- Frisch U. Hasslacher B. Pomeau Y. Lattice-gas Automata for the Navier-Stokes Equations Phys. Rev. Lett. 56 14 1505 1508 1986
- Qian Y. d'Humieres D. Lallemand P. Lattice BGK Models for Navier-Stokes Equation, Europhys Lett. 17 479 484 1992
- Shock R. Mallick S. Chen H. Yakhot V. Zhang R. Recent simulation results on 2D NACA airfoils using a lattice Boltzmann based algorithm AIAA J. Aircraft 39 3 434 439 2002
- Teixeira C. Incorporating Turbulence Models into the Lattice-Boltzmann Method Intl. J. Mod. Phys. 9 8 1159 1175 1998
- Yakhot V. Chen H. A. Staroselsky I. Qian Y. Shock R. Kandasamy S. Zhang R. Mallick S. Alexander C. A New Approach to Modelling Strongly Non-Equilibrium, Time-Dependent Turbulent Flow Exa internal publication 2001
- Yakhot V. Orszag S.A. Renormalization Group Analysis of Turbulence. I. Basic Theory J. Sci. Comput. 1 2 3 51 1986
- Yakhot V. Orszag S. Thangam S. Gatski T. Speziale C. Development of turbulence models for shear flows by a double expansion technique Phys. Fluids A 4 7 1510 1520 1992
- Wiedemann J. Potthoff J. The New 5-Belt Road Simulation System of the IVK Wind Tunnels SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0429 Detroit 2003
- Künstner R. Deutenbach K.-R. Vagt J.-D. Measurement of Reference Dynamic Pressure in Open-Jet Automotive Wind Tunnels SAE Technical Paper 920344 Detroit 1992
- Schroeck D. Implementierung eines Programms zur Durchfuehrung und Auswertung von Stroemungsfeldmessungen im IVK-Modellwindkanal Diploma Thesis Institut fuer Verbrennungsmotoren und Kraftfahrwesen Universitaet Stuttgart 2005