This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Eliminating Porosity in the Weld Bead of Automotive Axles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 28, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To solve the problem of pores in the weld bead of automotive axles, a study was made of the influence of various factors leading to the occurrence of porosity in steel joints welded by the robotic MIG/MAG process. Basically, the study focused on the influence the presence of a nitride-rich layer at the joint, the cleanliness of the surfaces to be welded, and the flow rate of the shielding gas. The results indicated that the presence of the nitride-rich layer generated by the plasma cutting process at the end of the tube corresponding to the base metal 1 significantly affected the resulting porosity in the weld bead. In addition to the experimental tests, practical tests were carried out on the shop floor in the axle production sector.
CitationMaia, I. and Trevisan, R., "Eliminating Porosity in the Weld Bead of Automotive Axles," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2717, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2717.
- American Welding Society Welding Handbook - Welding Processes 8th Miami 2 1991 109 154
- Montgomery, D. C. Runger, G. C. Applied statistics and probability for engineers New York John Wiley e Sons 1996
- Maia, I. G. Efeito da Camada de Nitretos na Porosidade em Soldas de Eixos Automotivos 2005 Campinas., Brazil
- Trevisan, R.E Maia, I.G. Análise da Porosidade em Juntas Soldadas pelo Processo MIG/MAG Robotizado Estância de São Pedro - SP - Brazil
- Barker, R.B. Pigma welding - A method for reducing weld porosity Welding Journal 1s 6s January 1965
- Vasil'ev, K.V. Kokhlikyan, L.O. Weld porosity in welding on edges prepared by air-plasma cutting, and its prevention Welding Production 23 4 50 54 1976
- Engblom, G. Formação de poros na soldagem de juntas cortadas com plasma de ar 1988 Gramado - Brazil
- Sauders, H.L. Welding Aluminum: theory and practice 3th The Aluminum Association 1997