This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Growth of Exhaust Pulsation Resonance during Rapid Engine Acceleration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of the present study is to improve the on-street exhaust noise measurement technique for regulating vehicles emitting unacceptably large exhaust noise. The method under development uses racing operation of engines with a wide-open throttle. Due to the high engine acceleration in this operation, exhaust pulsation amplitudes at resonant speeds may not increase sufficiently to represent the amplitudes under full-load acceleration conditions. To investigate the seriousness of this problem, experiments and numerical simulations were conducted. As a result, the sound level measurement error caused by the insufficient resonance growth was found to be sufficiently small for on-street tests.
CitationIshihama, M. and Itoh, Y., "Growth of Exhaust Pulsation Resonance during Rapid Engine Acceleration," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2207, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2207.
- Sound Quality Evaluations of Extremely Noisy Vehicles among Major Highway Traffic Ishihama Masao Shinonaga Nobuo Paper No. 20055282, Proc. of SAE of Japan May 2005
- Research on Motor Vehicle Noise Abatement 2003 Ishihama Masao Report to Japanese Ministry of Environment Protection from the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan
- Research on Motor Vehicle Noise Abatement 2005 Ishihama Masao Report to Japanese Ministry of Environment Protection from the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan
- Experimental investigation for an alternative stationary exhaust noise test Sakamoto Ichiro et.al Proc. of Inter-Noise 2006 Honolulu Dec. 2006
- Aeroacoustics, Chapter 2 Goldstein Marvin E. McGraw-Hill 1976
- Automotive Gasoline Engine, Chapter 3 Muranaka et.al Sankaido 1999 4-381-10133-2
- Acoustics - An Introduction to Its Physical Principles and Applications, Chapter 7 Pierce Allan D. McGraw-Hill 1981
- Vehicle Refinement Controlling Noise and Vibration in Road Vehicles, Chapter 3 Harrison Matthew SAE 2004
- SIMULINK user's guide Math Works Prentice Hall 1999
- BOOST program user's guide AVL 2002