This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of Hydrogen Fuel Injection in DI Dual Fuel Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hydrogen is expected to be one of the most important fuel in the near future to solve greenhouse problem and to save conventional fuels. In this study, a Direct Injection (DI) diesel engine was tested for its performance and emissions in dual-fuel (Hydrogen-Diesel) mode operation. Hydrogen was injected into the intake port along with air, while diesel was injected directly inside the cylinder. Hydrogen injection timing and injection duration were varied for a wider range with constant injection timing of 23° Before Injection Top Dead Centre (BITDC) for diesel fuel. When hydrogen is used as a fuel along with diesel, emissions of Hydro Carbon (HC), Carbon monoxide (CO) and Oxides of Nitrogen (NOX) decrease without exhausting more amount of smoke. The maximum brake thermal efficiency obtained is about 30 % at full load for the optimized injection timing of 5° After Gas Exchange Top Dead Centre (AGTDC) and for an injection duration of 90° crank angle. The NOX emission tends to reduce to a lower value of 888 parts per million (ppm) at full load condition for the optimized injection timing of 5° AGTDC and with an injection duration of 90° compared to neat diesel fuel operation.
CitationSaravanan, N., Nagarajan, G., Dhanasekaran, C., and Kalaiselvan, K., "Experimental Investigation of Hydrogen Fuel Injection in DI Dual Fuel Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1465, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1465.
- Tomita Eiji Kawahara Nobuyuki Piao Zhenyu Fujita Shogo “Hydrogen Combustion and Exhaust Emissions Ignited with Diesel Oil in a Dual Fuel Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-3503 2001
- Yi H.S. Min K. Kim E.S. “Optimized Mixture Formation for Hydrogen Fuelled Engines” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 25 685 690 2000
- Wong, J.K.S. “Compression Ignition of Hydrogen in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine Modified to Operate as a Low Heat Rejection Energy” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 15 507 1990
- Ikegami, M. Miwa, M Shioji, M. “A Study on Hydrogen Fuelled Compression Ignition Engines” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 7 341 1982
- Das L.M “Fuel Induction Techniques for a Hydrogen Operated Engine” Hydrogen fuel for surface transportation Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc U.S.A 27 36 1996
- Ravi. M Ramaswamy M.C. Jagadeesan T.R. Rao A.N. “Experimental investigation on Dual Fuel Operation of Hydrogen in a C.I. Engine” Proceedings of the National Conference on I.C.Engines and Combustion Indian Institute of Petroleum Dehradun sep 15-18 86 91 1992
- Heffel James W. Mcclanahan Michael N. Norbeck Joseph M. “Electronic fuel injection for Hydrogen Fueled Internal Combustion Engines” University of California Riverside CE-CER SAE 981924 1998
- Brunt Michael F.J. Rai Harjit “The Calculation of Heat Release Energy from Engine Cylinder Pressure Data” SAE 981052 1998
- Lee S.J. Yi H.S. Kim E.S. “Combustion Characteristics of Intake Port Injection Type Hydrogen Fueled Engine” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 20 4 317 322 1995
- Rao B.Haragopala Shrivastava K.N. Bhakta H.N. “Hydrogen for Dual Fuel Engine Operation” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 8 5 381 384 1983
- Das L.M. “Near-term Introduction of Hydrogen Engines for Automotive and Agriculture Application” International Journal of Hydrogen energy 27 479 487 2002
- Naber J.D. Siebers D.L. “Hydrogen Combustion Under Diesel Engine Conditions” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 23 5 363 371 1998