This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computer Supported Collaborative Design: Review and Perspective
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the rapid advancement of Internet and Web based technologies, applications of collaboration technologies to engineering design are becoming more and more promising. The depth and width of such applications is far beyond the traditional definition of concurrent engineering. Computer Supported Collaborative Design (CSCD) has been a very active R&D area in the past 15 years. This paper presents a review of the R&D literature on CSCD and discusses research challenges and opportunities.
CitationShen, W. and Hao, Q., "Computer Supported Collaborative Design: Review and Perspective," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0883, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0883.
CAD/CAM/CAE Technology, Digital Modeling, Virtual Development and Engineering
Number: SP-2072 ; Published: 2007-04-16
Number: SP-2072 ; Published: 2007-04-16
SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems
Number: V116-6 ; Published: 2008-08-15
Number: V116-6 ; Published: 2008-08-15
- Hartley, J. (1992) Concurrent Engineering, Cambridge, Mass., Productivity Press.
- Sprow, E. (1992) Chrysler's concurrent engineering challenge. Manufacturing Engineering, 108(4): 35-42.
- Shen, W. and Wang, L. (2003) Web-Based and Agent-Based Approaches for Collaborative Product Design: an Overview. International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology, 16(2/3): 103-112.
- Schmidt, K. and Bannon, L. (1992) Taking CSCW Seriously. CSCW, 1(1/2): 7-40.
- Greif, I. (ed.) (1988) Computer-Supported Cooperative Work: A Book of Readings, San Mateo, California: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers.
- Winner, R.I., Pennell, J.P., Bertrend, H.E., and Slusarczuk, M.M.G. (1988) The Role of Concurrent Engineering in Weapons System Acquisition. IDA Report R-338, Institute for Defense Analyses, Alexandria, VA.
- Cleetus, K.J. (1992) Definition of Concurrent Engineering, CERC Technical Report Series, Research Notes, CERC-TR-RN-92-003, Concurrent Engineering Research Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown.
- Turino, J. (1992) Managing Concurrent Engineering, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York.
- Prasad, B. (1997) Concurrent Engineering Fundamentals: Integrated Product Development, Volume II, One Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Myers, B.A. (1998) A Brief History of Human Computer Interaction Technology. ACM interactions, 5(2): 44-54.
- HCI International. URL: http://www.hci-international.org/
- Reddy, R., Erman, L., Fennel, R. and Neely, R. (1976) The HEARSAY Speech Understanding System: An Example of the Recognition Process. IEEE Transactions on Computers, C-25:427-431.
- Smith R. G. (1980) The Contract Net Protocol: High-level communication and control in a distributed problem solver. IEEE Transactions on Computers, C-29(12): 1104-1113.
- Hewitt C. (1979) Control Structure as Patterns of Passing Messages. In Winston, P.H. and Brown, R.H. (eds.) Artificial Intelligence: An MIT Perspective, MIT Press, pp. 435-465.
- Norrie, D.H. and Kwok, A.D. (1991) Object-Oriented Distributed Artificial Intelligence. In Maurer H. (eds) New Results and New Trends in Computer Science, LNCS 555, Springer-Verlag, pp. 225-242.
- Shen, W., Hao, Q., Yoon, H., and Norrie, D.H. (2006) Applications of Agent Systems in Intelligent Manufacturing: An Update Review. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Informatics, (in press).
- Tomiyama, T. (2006) Collaborative Product Development in III-Structured Problem Domains. In Proceedings of CSCWD 2006, pp. 15-20.
- Cutkosky, M.R., Engelmore, R.S., Fikes, R.E., Genesereth, M.R., Gruber, T.R., Mark, W.S., Tenenbaum, J.M. and Weber, J.C. (1993) PACT: An experiment in integrating concurrent engineering systems. IEEE Computer, 26(1): 28-37.
- Shen W. and Barthès J.P. (1995) DIDE: A Multi-Agent Environment for Engineering Design. In Proceedings of First International Conference on Multi-Agent Systems (ICMAS'95), San Francisco, CA, pp 344-351.
- Brown, D.C., Dunskus, B., Grecu, D.L. and Berker, I. (1995) SINE: Support for single function agents. In Proceedings of Applications of AI in Engineering, Udine, Italy.
- Autodesk Inventor. URL: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=4246282
- Autodesk Streamline. URL: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2164339
- CoCreate, OneSpace. URL: http://www.cocreate.com/
- Matrix PLM Platform. URL: http://www.matrixone.com/matrixonesolutions/plm_platform.html
- UGS, PLM Solutions. URL: http://www.ugs.com/solutions/
- Huang, G.Q., Lee, S.W. and Mak, K.L. (1999) Web-based product and process data modelling in concurrent ‘design for X’.Robotics and Computer-Integrated manufacturing, 15(1): 53-63.
- Huang, G.Q. and Mak, K.L. (1999) Design for manufacture and assembly on the Internet. Computer in Industry, 38(1): 17-30.
- Caldwell, N.H.M. and Rodgers, P.A. (1998) WebCADET: Facilitating distributed design support. In Proc. of IEE Colloquium on Web-Based Knowledge Servers, London, U.K., pp. 9/1-9/4.
- Rodgers, P.A., Huxor, A.P. and Caldwell, N.H.M. (1999) Design support using distributed Web-based AI tools. Research in Engineering Design, 11: 31-44.
- Jagannathan, V., Almasi, G. and Suvaiala, A. (1996) Collaborative infrastructures using the WWW and CORBA-based environments. In Proceedings of the IEEE Workshops on Enabling Technologies Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises (WET ICE'96), pp. 292-297.
- Huang, G.Q. and Mak, K.L. (1999) Web-based morphological charts for concept design in collaborative product development. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 10: 267-278.
- Wallis, A., Haag, Z. and Foley, R. (1998) A multi-agent framework for distributed collaborative design. In Proceedings of the IEEE Workshops on Enabling Technologies Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises (WET ICE'98), pp. 282-287.
- Zdrahal, Z. and Domingue, J. (1997) The World Wide Design Lab: An environment for distributed collaborative design. In Proceedings of 1997 International Conference on Engineering Design, Tampere, pp. 19-21.
- Allen, R.H., Nidamarthi, S., Regalla, S.P. and Sriram, R.D. (1999) Enhancing collaboration using an Internet integrated workbench. In Proceedings of 1999 ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Klein, M. (1997) Capturing geometry rationale for collaborative design. In Proceedings of the IEEE Workshops on Enabling Technologies Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises (WET ICE'97), pp. 24-28.
- Roy, U., Bharadwaj, B., Kodkani, S.S. and Cargian, M. (1997) Product development in a collaborative design environment. Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications, 15(4): 347-365.
- Toye, G., Cutkosky, M., Leifer, L., Tenenbaum, J. and Glicksman, J. (1993) SHARE: A methodology and environment for collaborative product development. In Proceeding of 2nd Workshop on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 33-47.
- Fruchter, R., Reiner, K.A., Toye, G. and Leifer, L.J. (1996) Collaborative mechatronic system design. Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications, 4(4): 401-412.
- Hague, M.J. and Taleb-Bendiab, A. (1998) Tool for management of concurrent conceptual engineering design. Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications, 6(2): 111-129.
- Varma, A., Dong, A., Chidambaram, B., Agogino, A. and Wood, W. (1996) Web-based tool for engineering design. In Proceedings of AID'96 Workshop on Agents and Web-Based Design Environments.
- Campbell, M.I., Cagan, J. and Kotovsky, K. (1999) A-Design: An agent-based approach to conceptual design in a dynamic environment. Research in Engineering Design, 11: 172-192.
- Parunak, H.V.D. (1998) What can agents do in industry, and why? An overview of industrially-oriented R&D at CEC. In Klusch, M. and Weiss, G. (eds) Cooperative Information Agents II: Learning, Mobility and Electronic Commerce for Information Discovery on the Internet (CIA'98), Paris, France, Springer, pp. 1-18.
- Shen, W., Norrie, D.H. and Barthes, J.P. (2000) Multi-Agent Systems for Concurrent Intelligent Design and Manufacturing, Taylor and Francis, London, UK.
- Wang, Y., Shen, W., Ghenniwa, H. (2003) WebBlow: a Web/agent-based multidisciplinary design optimization environment. Computers in Industry, 52(1): 17-28.
- Shen, W. and Ghenniwa, H.H. (2001) Multidisciplinary Design Optimization: A Framework for Technology Integration. In Proc. of the First International Conference on Multidisciplinary Design Optimization, London, ON, pp. 22-28.
- Shen, W. and Ghenniwa, H.H. (2002) A Distributed Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Framework Based on Web and Agents. In Proceedings of the 2002 ASME DETC/CIE Confernece, Sept. 29 - Oct. 2, 2002, Montreal, Canada, DETC2002/CIE-34461.
- Shen, W. and Hao, Q. (2004) A Service Oriented Framework for Blow Molded Automotive Parts Design and Optimization. In Proceedings of SAE 2004 Congress, Detroit, MI, SAE 2004-01-1244.
- Shen, W. et al. (6 co-editors) (2006) Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on CSCW in Design, Vol. 1&2, Nanjing, China, IEEE Press.
- STEP Tools, XML Transaction for STEP. URL: http://www.steptools.com/projects/xml/
- CSCWD Working Group. http://www.cscwd.org/