This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlating an Air Motion Number to Combustion Metrics and Initial Flame Kernel Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study attempts to develop a correlation between an airflow motion number, combustion burn rates, and initial flame kernel development. To accomplish this task, several motion plates were evaluated on a flowbench in order to calculate a motion number that would represent the dynamic motion in the combustion chamber. Afterwards, the plates were tested on a spark ignited engine at several part throttle conditions while gathering cylinder pressure measurements. These cylinder pressure measurements would then yield the combustion burn rates for each plate. In addition to the combustion measurements, the flame kernel growth, velocity and direction of the flame kernel were measured using an AVL Visio-flame. Finally, the data was evaluated and an attempt to correlate the motion number of the plates to the different measurements for describing combustion was made.
CitationSoltis, D., "Correlating an Air Motion Number to Combustion Metrics and Initial Flame Kernel Development," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0653, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0653.
- Endres, H., NeuBer, H.J., Wurms, R., 1992, Influence of Swirl and Tumble on Economy and Emissions of Multi Valve SI Engines, SAE paper 920516.
- Selamet,A., Rupal,S.,He,Y.,Keller,P.S., 2004, An Experimental Study on the effect of Intake Primary Runner Blockages on Combustion and Emissions in SI Engines under Part-Load Conditions, SAE paper 2004FFL-222.
- Hadded, O., Denbratt, I., 1991, Turbulence Characteristics of Tumbling Air Motion in Four-Valve S.I. Engines and their Correlation with Combustion Parameters, SAE paper 910478.
- Omori, S., Iwachido, M., Motomochi, M., Hirako, O., 1991, Effect of Intake Port Flow Pattern on the In-Cylinder Tumbling Air Flow in Multi-Valve SI Engine, SAE paper 910477.
- Kent, J.C., Mikulec, A., Rimal, L., Adamczyk, A.A., Mueller, S.R., Stein, R.A., Warren, C.C., 1989, Observations on the Effects of Intake-Generated Swirl and Tumble on Combustion Duration, SAE paper 892096.
- Keller, P.S., FIRE Evaluation of 2.4L Piston Tops and Flow Control Valve, DaimlerChrysler Corporation Internal Document, 2002.
- Floch, A., Van Frank, J., Ahmed, A., 1995, Comparison of the Effects of Intake-Generated Swirl and Tumble on Turbulence Characteristics in a 4-Valve Engine, SAE paper 952457.
- Lord, D.L., Anderson, R.W., Brehob, D.D., Kim, Y., 1993, The effects of Charge Motion on Early Flame Kernel Development, SAE paper 930463.
- Kerstein, A.R., Witze, P.O., 1990, Flame-Kernel Model for Analysis of Fiber-Optic Instrumented Spark Plug Data, SAE paper 900022.
- Witze, P.O., Hall, M.J., Bennett, M.J., 1990, Cycle-Resolved Measurements of Flame Kernel Growth and Motion Correlated with Combustion Duration, SAE paper 900023.
- Lee, K., Foster, D.E., 1995, Cycle-by-Cycle Variations in Combustion and Mixture Concentration in the Vicinity of Spark Plug Gap, SAE paper 950814.
- Kratzen, C., Tumble Notes, DaimlerChrysler Corporation Internal Document, 2004.
- Ball, J.K., Raine, R.R., Stone, C.R., 1998, Combustion analysis and cycle-by-cycle variations in spark ignition engine combustion Part 1: an evaluation of combustion analysis routines by reference of model data, Proc.Instn. Mech. Engrs., Part D, Journal of Automobile Engineering, 201 (D5) 381-399.
- AVL Private communication on Visioflame, 2006.
- Baby, X., Floch. A, 1997, Investigation of the In-Cylinder Tumble Motion in a Multi-Valve Engine: Effect of the Piston Shape, SAE paper 971643.