This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fundamental Study on Combustion Diagnostics Using a Spark Plug as Ion Probe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to investigate the relation between ion current and combustion characteristics, the ion current signal from a spark plug as an ion probe, pressure history and flame development were measured in a homogeneous propane-air mixture in closed combustion chambers. The flame propagation was measured by Schlieren photography technique. When negative bias is applied to the central electrode of the spark plug, the ion current flows only due to an early flame kernel existing near the spark plug. When positive bias is applied to the central electrode, the ion current flows from the central electrode to the combustion chamber wall and to the ground electrode. Consequently, the ion current is dominated by the contact area between the flame and the combustion chamber wall. The appearance period of ion-current is related to the combustion duration. This method was applied to the combustion analysis of the spark ignition engine.
CitationYoshiyama, S., Tomita, E., and Hamamoto, Y., "Fundamental Study on Combustion Diagnostics Using a Spark Plug as Ion Probe," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2828, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2828.
- Ohigashi, S., Hamamoto, Y. and Kijima, A., Effects of Turbulence on Flame Propagation in Closed Vessel, Bulletin of the JSME, Vol. 14, No. 74, (1971-8), pp. 849-858.
- Haghgooie, M., Kent, J. C. and Tabaczynski, R. J., Turbulent Time-Scale Measurements in a Spark Ignition Engine Using Hot Wire Anemometry and Fast Response Ion Probes, Flows in Internal Combustion Engines, Proc. Winter Ann. Meet. ASME, (1982-11), 1.
- Hamamoto, Y., Yoshiyama, S., Tomita, E., Hirata, N., Ueda, A., Combustion Diagnostics Using a Spark Plug as Ion Probe, Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. (B) (in Japanese), Vol. 60, No. 572, (1994-4), pp. 1486-1492.
- Hamamoto, Y., Yoshiyama, S., Tomita, E., Izumi, M., Measurement of Turbulent Premixed Flame in a Closed Vessel by Using an Ion Gap, (Turbulent Characteristics and Wave Form of Ion Current), Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. (B) (in Japanese), Vol. 55, No. 512, (1989-4), pp. 1224-1228.
- Kido, H., Huang, S. and Nakashima, K., A Study on the Structure of Premixed Turbulent Propagating Flames (An Investigation and Application of the Flame Plasma Potential Signal), Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. (B) (in Japanese), Vol. 56, No. 521, (1990), pp.175-
- Hamamoto, Y., Tomita, E. and Yoshiyama, S., Turbulent Premixed Flames in Closed Combustion Chambers, JSME International Journal, Series B, Vol. 39, No. 2, (1996), pp. 171-175.
- Witze, P.O., Cycle-Resolved Multipoint Ionization Probe Measurements in a Spark Ignition Engine, SAE Paper, (1989), (Paper No. 892099).
- Ohigashi, S. and Hamamoto, Ignition delay and Flame Propagation in Gasoline Engine, Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. (in Japanese), Vol. 36, No. 282, (1970), pp. 295-302.
- Johnson, W. J., and Rado, W. G., Engine Performance Evaluation Using a Combustion Probes Signal Analyzer, IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. VT-26, No. 1, (1977), pp. 71-75.
- Eriksson, L., Nielsen, L. and Nytomt, J., Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation, SAE Paper No.960045, (1996).
- Eriksson, L., Nielsen, L. and Glavenius, M., Closed Loop Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation, SAE Paper No.970854, (1997).
- Saitzoff, A., Reinmann, R., Berglind, T. and Glavmo, M., An Ionization Equilibrium Analysis of the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor, SAE Paper No.960337, (1996).
- Reinmann, R., Satzkoff, A., and Mauss, F., Local Air-Fuel Ratio Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor, SAE Paper No.970856, (1997).
- Saizkoff, A., Reinmann, R., Mauss, F. and Glavmo, M., In-Cylinder Pressure Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor, SAE No.970857, (1997).
- An, F., Rizzoni, G., and Upadhyay, D., Combustion Diagnostics in Methane-Fueled SI Engines Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Probe, SAE Paper No.970033, (1997).
- Daniels, C., The Comparison of Mass Fraction Burned Obtained from the Cylinder Pressure Signal and Spark Plug Ion Signal, SAE Paper No.980140, (1998).
- Hirano, Y., Suzuki, T., Hashimoto., Y., and Mashiko, I., Fundamental Characteristics of Cylindrical Electrostatic Probe for Examining Premixed Fluctuated Flames, Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. (B), (in Japanese), Vol. 46, No. 405, (1980), pp. 1007-1015.
- Suzuki, T., Hashimoto, Y., Mashiko, I. and Hirano, T., Ion-Current Fluctuations Recorded with a Cylindrical Electrostatic Probe Passing Premixed Flames, Combustion and Flame, Vol. 36, (1979), pp. 179-191.
- Lawton, J. and Weinberg, F. J., Electrical Aspects of Combustion, (1969), p. 214, Clarendon Press.
- Hamamoto, Y., Ion Current and Combustion in Gasoline Engine, Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. (in Japanese), Vol. 36, No. 285, (1970), pp. 808-817.
- Kinbara, T., Physics of Combustion of Gases, (in Japanese) (1985), Syokabo.