This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mount Design Characteristics for Non-Round Substrates
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Non-round substrates are often applied in exhaust applications with limited packaging space, including commercial vehicles, and the shape of their metallic shells are often designed to be similar, but enlarged to accommodate the layer of support mat. This gap is often planned to be constant around its perimeter, but measured data indicates this rarely occurs. This study evaluates a particular oval converter mount design and applies a unique method to couple finite-element modeling with support mat response characteristics to predict non-round shell shapes, planning for uneven gap distributions. This method allows for increased awareness of acceptable mount designs, as well as improved manufacturing and durability performance, which becomes even more important within commercial vehicle design applications, subject to larger substrate sizes, increased backpressures, and extended mileage requirements.
CitationKotrba, A., Olivier, K., Casebeer, D., and Zhao, V., "Mount Design Characteristics for Non-Round Substrates," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3506, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3506.
- Olson J. “Diesel Emissions Control Devices - Design Factors Affecting Mounting Mat Selection” SAE paper 2004-01-1420 2004
- Hijikata, T. Kurachi, H. Katsube, F. Van Honacker, H. “Thermal Reliability and Performance Improvement of Clost-Coupled Catalytic Converter” SAE Paper 960565 1996
- MacDonald, J. Simon, G. “Development of a Particulate Trap System for a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 880006 1988
- Hinz, A. Andersson, L. Edvardesson, J. Salomonsson, P. et al “The Application of a NOx Adsorber Catalyst System on a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2005-01-1084 2005
- Koebel, M. Elsner, M. “Recent Advances in the Development of Urea-SCR for Automotive Applications” SAE Paper 2001-01-3625 2001
- Alves, A.J. Bloom, R. “New Mounting Materials For Catalytic Converters to Meet Stricter Emissions Requirements” SAE Paper 2003-01-3554 2003