This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Support Mat Systems for Diesel Emission Control Devices: Addressing Solutions to Cold Holding and Erosion Issues
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel oxidation catalysts and particulate filters are recognized as proven solutions for reducing diesel emission levels. However, such systems now operate under extreme and unique conditions in order to meet even more demanding emission regulations. Long term cold holding performance, erosion resistance and high temperature stability are issues that must be addressed to assure a robust design in diesel oxidation catalysts and diesel particulate filters. This paper will describe the application of new concepts for support mat systems and results from internal lab testing. It will describe three different case histories, present the design parameters, and compare results with traditional support mat systems.
|Technical Paper||Mount Design Characteristics for Non-Round Substrates|
|Technical Paper||Support Mat Test Equipment Artifact Identification and Elimination|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation Techniques to Assess Exhaust Aftertreatment Support Mat Robustness|
CitationFernandes, S., Ankrum, C., Juda, S., and Olson, J., "Advanced Support Mat Systems for Diesel Emission Control Devices: Addressing Solutions to Cold Holding and Erosion Issues," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3507, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3507.
- Kliesch J. Langer T. “Deliberating Diesel: Environmental, Technical, and Social Factors Affecting Diesel Passenger Vehicle Prospects in the United States” American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy September 2003
- Parmann R. et al “Diesel Particulate Filter: A success for Faurecia Exhaust Systems” DEER-DOE Conference 2003
- Zelenka P. Telford C. “Development of a particulate trap system with a thermal regeneration system” ArvinMeritor Columbus IN 2003
- Chatterjee S. et al “Diesel particulate filter technology for low temperature and low NOx/PM Applications” DEER-DOE Conference 2004
- Olson J. R. “Diesel Emission Control Devices - Design Factors Affecting Mounting Mat Selection” SAE Paper N° 2004-01-1420 March 2004
- Locker R.J. Sawyer C.B. “Low Temperature Catalytic Converter Durability” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0220 February 2000
- Fernandes S. et al “Dual Fuel Emission Control Devices - Design Factors Affecting Mounting Mat Selection” SAE BRASIL Paper No. 2004-01-3397 November 2004
- Rajadurai S. et al “Edge seal mouting support for diesel particulate filter” SAE Paper No. 2005-01-3510 February 2005
- Fernandes S. et al “The Role of New Catalytic Converter Mounting Materials in Providing Durability and Efficiency” SAE BRASIL Paper No. 2002-01-3447 November 2002
- Gulati S.T. TenEyck J.D. Lebold A.R. “New Development in Packaging of Ceramic Honeycomb Catalysts” SAE Paper No. 922252 October 1992
- Kim J. S. “Theories and Capabilities of Intumescent Mat Numerical Modeling” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0664 March 2003
- “1000 Cycle Test” Unifrax Corporation Niagara Falls, NY 2004
- “Catalytic Converter Tech Bulletin - Erosion Durability of Support Mat” Unifrax Corporation Niagara Falls, NY 2004